When sending texts from iMessages to an iPhone, the text occasionally appears on their iPhone with a couple words cut off from the end. It appears fine in the iMessages display/history. Here's a few things I've noticed:
- It's repeatable. For example, the following message always causes the issue: "man, why are you here? Two are in testing places". On the iPhone it appears as "man, why are you here? Two are in testing".
- It's a problem with iMessages. If I send the exact same text from the iPhone, it goes through just fine. The message has to originate from MacOS iMessages. (I'm using the latest Mountain Lion and all updates as of 12/21/12)
- The full message is actually being successfully transferred to the phone; it just does not display correctly. There are two pieces of evidence for this. If on the iPhone, the user copies the truncated message and pastes it somewhere else, the full message is pasted! Moreover, on the top level the messages app (where you see the last message from all the recent people you texted with), the full message displays.
- It can happen with both short and longer messages. Here's another longer message I noticed got cut off: "That's funny that you though I was joking when I said I was debugging. Why is that so weird?"
- It has something to do with the length of the message or how it is being wrapped. I can create modifications of those texts with the same length, and they will cut off. (That said, some modifications will not cause the problem, so it's more than just length. Maybe it has something to do with how it wraps the words?) Usually adding a few words to the message will allow it to go through.
- It always cuts off at a space. In other words, it will not truncate something in the middle of a word.
- I have only seen it cut off one or two words before.
Apple really needs to make this a high priority fix. Unreliable messaging of this sort is a deal-breaker for iMessages, IMO. My guess is that they haven't had more reports for this because people simply don't notice unless the last word or two totally ruins the meaning of a text and the other person points it out.
Can people try to recreate this on their machines? If so, please do so and file a bug report (http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html). All you have to do is get on your iMessage app and text one of those two messages to your phone. If it appears truncated on your phone, you've confirmed it. You're welcome to use any of my post in any bug report.