Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recent import disappears after iphoto crashes??

Help! My most recent camera import disappeared completely (from recent import and albums created for the photos) after iphoto crashed! I see the new albums but they're empty and the most recent import album is dated and there, but also empty. Has this happened to anyone? Can you get the pictures back?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:25 PM

4 replies

Dec 22, 2012 12:31 AM in response to corinne76

Remember: we cannot see your machine. There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 8 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Basic things like :

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For instance: 'iPhoto won't export' is best explained by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted?

- Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Jun 9, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have a similar situation where I seem to have lost several hours of work (editing and deleting hundreds of photos).

I imported a few thousand photos residing in 26 folders on my MacBook Pro hard drive, one folder at a time. The imports were all successful and created 26 new events within iPhoto. After the import, I edited and deleted many of the recently imported photos from within iPhoto. My edits in iPhoto consisted of Rotate, Enhance, and Straighten plus Naming some Faces within Info. iPhoto crashed while I was Naming some Faces within Info. When prompted, I did send the error report to Apple.

When I re-opened iPhoto, all 26 of my recent imports seem to have disappeared. I can see the new events in iPhoto but they're all empty. However, when I try to re-import the photos, the import process throws up a "Duplicate Photo" notification window asking "Would you like to import the following duplicate photo?" The notification window shows the photo waiting to be imported on the left and an empty box with no image on the right. The import facility clearly thinks that the photo already exists, but the event folder within iPhoto is empty with no photos.

Opening the iPhoto Library folder with "Show Package Contents, I can see the following files/folders there:

AlbumData.xml

Attachments >

Auto Import >

Database >

iLifeShared >

Info.plist

iPhotAux.db

iPhotoLock.data

iPhotoMain.db

iPod Photo Cache >

Library.data

Library.iPhoto

Library6.iPhoto

Masters >

Previews >

ProjectDBVersion.plist

Projects.db

Thumbnails >

Under the Masters folder, a couple of levels down, I can see some empty folders, but can also see files of recent photos that were imported under the second filepath listed below.

Masters > 2013 > 05 > 22 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Masters > 2013 > 06 > 06 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Masters > 2013 > 06 > 09 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Drilling down from the Previews folder, I can also see files of recent photos that were imported as below.

Previews > 2013 > 06 > 06 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Previews > 2013 > 06 > 09 > 20130606-xxxxxx

The relevant software details are listed below:

iPhoto 11 version 9.4.3 (720.91)

OS X 10.8.3

Why are the recently imported photos not showing up in iPhoto and if they are there how can I access them?

Jun 9, 2013 2:17 PM in response to schaudhary

You need to repair the library: apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with

Option #3, followed by #4 and then #1 as needed.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Recent import disappears after iphoto crashes??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.