Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help please! Kyocera KM-3050 stopped working after ML upgrade

Hello Apple community,

We have a Kyocera KM-3050 that scans and prints. After upgrading all the iMac, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro laptops to Mountain Lion, we are unable to scan and send the documents to any of the Apple computers. Printing is still working perfectly, but scanning has absolutely stopped working. I don't know what to do. I can't find all the installers and I'm afraid to downgrade back to Snow Leopard without them. Ah, the time machine on all three computers have never been activated so there's no restore point. =(

Any suggestions on how to go around this? Thanks in advance!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:38 PM

8 replies

Dec 21, 2012 8:51 PM in response to jrnp

If the Kyocera was using the SMB protocol to send the scanned documents to the shared folder on the 10.6 Mac, then this protocol was changed in 10.7 which made it incompatible with many devices. And this incompatible version of SMB still exists in 10.8. For some brands the vendor provided a firmware update for the multifunction device to make it compatible. For other brands you had to use an alternate protocol like FTP.

So I suggest you first check the Kyocera web site for a firmware update to resolve the SMB compatibility.

If they don't have a fix then can you check if you can use the FTP protocol on the Kyocera to send documents. If it can then I can provide some information on how to configure the Mac to accept FTP connections from the MFD.

Dec 22, 2012 3:10 PM in response to PAHU

@ PAHU: I'm not quite sure I know what an SMB protocol is. Can you give me suggestions on how to find out about that?

I don't know if this information helps, but typically when we feed patient documents for scanning, we press a button for the "destination" computer and it goes to that computer's Dropbox. That way, it shows up in all of the computers at the clinic. For example, if I click iMac, it shows the host name address: 192.xxx.x.xx. Is that an SMB protocol? Also, not quite sure about an FTP transfer. I'll have to research that. @_@

Dec 22, 2012 3:48 PM in response to jrnp

SMB protocol is used by the Mac to connect to and from Windows computers. Typically the multi function devices use this protocol to connect to Windows shares, and with OS 10.6 and earlier, they could also use it to connect to a shared folder on the Mac.

If you are able to look at the address book in the MFD, this will give some insight into what protocol is being used. Often this can be done by entering the IP address of the MFD into a web browser which connects to the internal web site of the MFD. From here there should be links to the address book where you can register and edit an address for the send function.

For the example you give to the iMac, if the address book may show smb:\\192.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename, where 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is the iMac's IP address and sharename is the shared folder name where the document is sent to on the iMac. It may also not show SMB at the beginning, but will show SMB as the protocol being used. The image below is an example from the address book of a Canon imageRUNNER MFD. Note that the protocol is shown as "Windows (SMB)".

User uploaded file

As for the FTP support, one way to check is via this address book view. With the example above, I can change the protocol drop menu from Windows (SMB) to FTP. If you can see this same view in the Kyocera then this could help identify that the device supports the FTP protocol for sending documents.

Dec 25, 2012 7:46 PM in response to PAHU

@ PAHU: Yes, I looked it up and confirmed that the machine is using the SMB protocol. I was able to get into the Kyocera's command center. Is there a way I can change the settings so the scanner will work again? I just need the files to go directly into the SCANS folder in Dropbox. *crosses fingers*

User uploaded file

Dec 26, 2012 2:16 AM in response to jrnp

Your screenshot shows the Kyocera supports the FTP protocol. So you could enter the same settings you have used for SMB. Then on the Mac, you can download and install a utility called FTPDEnable. This will enable the FTP protocol on the Mac to allow the Kyocera to scan to it.

Just want to check a couple of things.

1. The IP address you have set in the Kyocera - under Host Name - is this the IP address of the Mac?

2. You mention the Scans folder in Dropbox. Is this the commercial externally hosted Dropbox? Or is the Scans folder located in the Public folder where the Dropbox folder also resides?

Help please! Kyocera KM-3050 stopped working after ML upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.