Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4s access denied error message when importing photos

ok got iphone 4s in feb have used windows live photo gallery to import since i got the phone and never had any problems started having problems with itunes not working say it was on a locked disk and/or didint have write permissions fixed this with a total uninstall and reinstall of itunes and now that works fine but at the same time the itunes stopped working i started getting an access denied error when importing photos via usb via windos live photo gallery i was however able to import my husbands photos from his ipad three days ago the same way i do my iphone and it worked fine with the ipad but not my iphone so here is what i do click for click i plug in the iphone via usb and the autoplay and itunes starts. i close itunes and go to autoplay click on import using windows live photo gallery than the pops open i check the folder to import too (which is on an exterial hard drive) and then i click import and it starts to import and on the very first photo and all photos the access is denied error message pops up help please this is driving me crazy that it worked fine one day and now it doesnt work

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2015 3:00 AM

Hi, I just thought I would post my findings on this as no-one seems to have resolved it on windows/apple forums.

The fix on the windows site about changing permissions on the device is unlikely to be of any use as the tabs for changing permissions will not show for apple devices in windows.

That said the issue does not seem to be one with the ios device.

I had the issue on my ipod (other iphones are all ok)

when importing through MS picture importer the access is denied dialogue comes up

All software was updated (ios 8.4.1 at time of writing and windows 7 pro 64 bit)

my computer has 2 Hard drives and my photos are saved to the larger mechanical drive as apposed to the primary windows SSD

all full control permissions are granted for admin on both drives but not for users

there is no way that i can find on running the import photos program with admin preveledges as it is part of windows

the only way I found around this was to run adobe bridge (I have CS6 adobe suite) with admin priveledges and this then was able to import to the second HD without issue)

(to run a program with admin priveledges R-click on the program icon and select "run as administrator")

I cannot confirm if the primary SSD drive would import ok as it has insufficient space but if others have enough space they could import to this drive first then copy the files to a secondary drive if they have 2.

Although I know not everyone will have adobe suite but i suspect this same fix would work for any 3rd party photo software with an "import from camera" function. maybe picassa or something similar or windows live photos and running them as admin.

hope this is a help to someone. I woud investigate further but don't have the time or inclination, sorry! as I am selling the ipod 🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2015 3:00 AM in response to j23cuevas

Hi, I just thought I would post my findings on this as no-one seems to have resolved it on windows/apple forums.

The fix on the windows site about changing permissions on the device is unlikely to be of any use as the tabs for changing permissions will not show for apple devices in windows.

That said the issue does not seem to be one with the ios device.

I had the issue on my ipod (other iphones are all ok)

when importing through MS picture importer the access is denied dialogue comes up

All software was updated (ios 8.4.1 at time of writing and windows 7 pro 64 bit)

my computer has 2 Hard drives and my photos are saved to the larger mechanical drive as apposed to the primary windows SSD

all full control permissions are granted for admin on both drives but not for users

there is no way that i can find on running the import photos program with admin preveledges as it is part of windows

the only way I found around this was to run adobe bridge (I have CS6 adobe suite) with admin priveledges and this then was able to import to the second HD without issue)

(to run a program with admin priveledges R-click on the program icon and select "run as administrator")

I cannot confirm if the primary SSD drive would import ok as it has insufficient space but if others have enough space they could import to this drive first then copy the files to a secondary drive if they have 2.

Although I know not everyone will have adobe suite but i suspect this same fix would work for any 3rd party photo software with an "import from camera" function. maybe picassa or something similar or windows live photos and running them as admin.

hope this is a help to someone. I woud investigate further but don't have the time or inclination, sorry! as I am selling the ipod 🙂

Iphone 4s access denied error message when importing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.