Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if I reset the SMC correctly?

I just followed the instructions to reset the SMC as my computer was acting strangely (poor performance with low CPU activity on a 1 month old 15" Retina MacBook Pro with Retina Display). The instructions state to press (not hold) left shift+control+option+power at the same time and release at the same time then restart. I did this but there was no indication that the SMC was reset. Thank you in advance for your answers.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 15" Base Model

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 5:20 AM

The most recent MacBooks need to have the magsafe removed: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Hence this method is no longer valid. Is there another one?

Antoine

2 replies

Dec 21, 2012 11:07 PM in response to jbspeed29

You should, generally, see a blinking or change from amber to green and back a couple of time, LED light on your MagSafe adapter. I usually hold down the keys on those rare occasions when I've done an SMC reset.

Try it again - that's all I can suggest - and if it doesn't seem to work take your machine into your local Apple Store or AASP. Several other people have reported unsuccessful SMC resets on newer MBPs.

Clinton

How do I know if I reset the SMC correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.