Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard cannot be identified.

I never ran into this problem until recently, I own the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - English (USA) which is connected through the back of my imac USB port. The "Up" arrow key however no longer works, although the other arrow keys work.

Whenever I try to run the Keyboard Setup Assistant, I press the "z" key and a dialog appears saying ""your keyboard cannot be identified". Is there some form of troubleshooting or software/firmware that I can download to fix this issue??

Thank you so much!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:53 AM

4 replies

Jun 4, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Eric Root

I read the OP too quickly. ohmai is having problems with the keyboard actually not working. In my case, the keyboard was working just fine; it was just that Keyboard Setup Assistant would pop up at each reboot, even though the keyboard was a standard wired Apple Extended.

In my case, I think I've found the problem. My mother is usina a Logitech mouse that communicates with the computer via a USB dongle. I had occasion to unplug the dongle and plug it back in (not knowing what it was, I thought it was a micro USB thumb drive, even though no drive was showing up in Finder or Disk Utility). Sure enough, every time that dongle gets plugged in, Keyboard Setup Assistant pops up. No idea why the system thinks the mouse dongle is a keyboard, but at least I've ID'd the hardware that's triggering the problem.

Maybe your articles will help ohmai, although I really hope s/he has resolved his/her problem by onw.

Keyboard cannot be identified.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.