Skip navigation

How can I restrict in-app purchases on a desktop?

2614 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 8:43 AM by HACKINT0SH RSS
Lawrence Lessig Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 22, 2012 5:28 AM

I recently was shocked to discover my kid had made over $200 in in-app purchases in the game Trade Natons. To my great relief, Apple almost instanty reversed the charges, but I still don't see how I to restrict in app purchases.

Unlike with the iPhone/iPad/iPod versions of this game, there is no need to enter the password for the account when making an in-app purchase.

And neither is there a place in the parental controls of either iTunes or System>ParentalControls to control in app purchases.

And while I've read people who say something about passwords to download an app remaining active for up to 15 minutes or more, (1) these purchases were literally DAYS after I had entered any password (I've been travelling) and (2) why would anyone infer from entering a password to download a "free app" that one is also authorizing the purchase of $99 of in-app credits?

iMac, iOS 6.0.2
  • HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5 (5,750 points)

I think you're confused here. The in-apps need to be disabled from Restrictions. This is actually a passcode issue, not a password issue. When blocked, a child will get a pop-up that says in-apps disabled. And they can't change that unlss they know your passcode.

You are looking in the wrong OS

The in-apps were most likely done on your iOS device(s).

iTunes Store: About In-App Purchases

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4009

iOS: Understanding Restrictions

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213

Thanks for the clarification. This app is one of those truely universal deals. Available not just for all iOS devices, but it seems they ported it to Mac OS X.

You will not see a way to disable In-Apps on parental controls in Mac OS X.

However, they can not make the purchases without logging into the App Store. For this reason, make sure you are NOT logged into the App Store. If you are, you will most likely still be logged in after a reboot by default. Double check this by clicking on the STORE tab.

Assuming your kids don't know your password, they will be stumped when prompted to log into the MAS account when trying to carry out an In-App on your Mac.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.