Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete VmWare (Win XP) after Mountain Lion upgrade?

Hi,

I used to have Windows XP emulated via VmWare. Now as I upgraged from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion this is no longer supported. But how do I get my data which I stored in Windows and how can I delete the whole virtual machine afterwards to get the free harddisc space back, because I cannot even open the vmware application.

Please help me, it's kinda urgent 😟

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:37 AM

Just update VMWare Fusion:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fus ion/5_0

The link is for VMWare Fusion 5, but the page has links to other versions. Your only problem will be if you are on VMWare Fusion 3...which just doesn't work on Mountain Lion; an upgrade (paid) to VMWare Fusion 4 would be required.

Afterwards, if you want to delete the WinXP installation...well, you'll have a working VMWare Fusion, so you can simply delete the guest OS as per normal procedures for VMWare.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Allesnuridee

Just update VMWare Fusion:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fus ion/5_0

The link is for VMWare Fusion 5, but the page has links to other versions. Your only problem will be if you are on VMWare Fusion 3...which just doesn't work on Mountain Lion; an upgrade (paid) to VMWare Fusion 4 would be required.

Afterwards, if you want to delete the WinXP installation...well, you'll have a working VMWare Fusion, so you can simply delete the guest OS as per normal procedures for VMWare.

Dec 22, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Allesnuridee

Allesnuridee wrote:

Yea right, I use Fusion 3 on my MBP. So I have to buy the latest one and then I'm able to run Win XP again? I thought that I read that Win XP cannot emulated on ML anyway. Or did I get this wrong?

You can't run Win XP in BootCamp in ML but you can continue to run it in Fusion 5 (and Windows 95, ME, Win 8, etc if you so choose).

Dec 22, 2012 10:18 AM in response to Allesnuridee

Allesnuridee wrote:

So I got a shiny new full version of Fusion 5, how can I convert my existing virtual mashine made with Fusion 3? I'm only able to convert them from Prallels/Virtual Box or make a new one?

With Fusion 5 installed, you should be able to simply open the XP virtual machine from within Fusion. If Fusion doesn't automatically detect the XP VM is present, go to File/Open and look for the XP VM in /Users/your user name/Documents/Virtual Machines/ or just go to your Documents folder and find the Virtual Machine folder. Indeed, if you look there first and find the XP VM, you should be able to just double click on it and have it open in Fusion 5 (that's assuming you've removed Fusion 3 first). Also, just to be on the safe side, once you find the VM in your documents folder, make a backup of it first. Finally, do you remember if you shut XP down the last time you used it or is it just suspended?

Dec 22, 2012 12:20 PM in response to Allesnuridee

Allesnuridee wrote:

I solved the problem and edited my message while you were writing your reply obviously (you're fast!!:). Thanks again!

Glad to help. 🙂 I've been tinkering with Fusion for a while (back to version 2), and virtualization can do some remarkable things. In the old days of PowerPC's, virtualization involved emulation of the Intel processor as well as the rest of the PC hardware. Now, the Intel processor is real and the virtual machine can talk directly to it. Indeed, with some Mac CPU's such as some of the i7's and the Westmere in the Mac Pro, a VM nested inside another VM inside the host Mac can also talk directly to the Intel CPU, giving remarkable performance. XPMode, which is a free XP Pro installation running inside Win 7 Pro seems as fast as an XP Pro VM or XP on earlier PC laptops.

How to delete VmWare (Win XP) after Mountain Lion upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.