Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logitech iPad Keyboard

Recently received Logitech US international version Keyboard for use with my iPad. It had teh Dollar ($) sign instead of the UK pound (£) sign and I'm wondering how to get this to display.

the "user manual" is really a quick start guide and it just defines the key functions without explanation. The ipad settings for keyboard is English (UK) QWERTY and the hardware keyboarf layout is British.

I've been in touch with logitech who asked me to check the iPad settings under General/Keyboard and to check that the keyboard language changes when the "FN+4" key combination is pressed. It doesn't. Nothing happens

They don't tell me what's meant to happen despite being asked and suggest I take ipad to Apple store for the settings to be checked

Do I have correct keyboard; is there another KB version for UK or is there a fault with keyboard or incorrect iPad setting?? Help and advice appreciated.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:19 AM

The iPad only provides a limited number of keyboard layouts for hardware keyboards, and you cannot add others yourself. Thus if you want things to match, you have to use a hardware keyboard that matches one of the available hardware layouts.

If you have the hardware layout set to British, then you should get £ at shift + 3 and $ at shift + 4. If you have the hardware layout set to US, you should get £ at option/alt + 3 and $ at shift + 4. What is happening with your setup, and what do you want instead of that?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2012 9:19 AM in response to majestic100

The iPad only provides a limited number of keyboard layouts for hardware keyboards, and you cannot add others yourself. Thus if you want things to match, you have to use a hardware keyboard that matches one of the available hardware layouts.

If you have the hardware layout set to British, then you should get £ at shift + 3 and $ at shift + 4. If you have the hardware layout set to US, you should get £ at option/alt + 3 and $ at shift + 4. What is happening with your setup, and what do you want instead of that?

Dec 22, 2012 9:40 AM in response to majestic100

Try option-3 on a hardware/bluetooth keyboard.

£

No British keyboard change needed here.

If all you have is the onscreen pop-up iPad/iOS keyboard, bring it up, toggle to the numbers layout, then hit the #+= key on the right....this should change the layout and display a £ key, middle row towards the right.

Dec 23, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom/KT

Many thanks. Looks like I need to get my hands on a keybaoard command chart to see see/undertand all the key comination options.

shift+3 does indeed give the UK£ sign though the keyboard shows this combination would bring up the # sign. Need to find what ativates that. There are other keys e.g."cmd" which no doubt works in conjunction with other keys.

Do you know where I could download a comprehensive list ??

Dec 23, 2012 6:48 AM in response to majestic100

majestic100 wrote:

shift+3 does indeed give the UK£ sign though the keyboard shows this combination would bring up the # sign.

That is because you have chosen British in your iPad hardware keyboard settings. Because your hardware keyboard is US, to make the keys match what is typed you should choose US in your iPad hardware keyboard settings. If you choose US, then £ is made via Option/alt + 3. With British, # is made via Option/alt + 3.

Shift, Option/alt, and Option/alt + shift are used to make characters. Command and Control are used for keyboard shortcuts for system and app functions in OS X, e.g. Command + Q normally means Quit. I don't know whether Command/Control does anything useful on an iPad -- the OS and apps are very different.

To see what special characters you can make via Option/alt and Shift, you need to find a chart for the layout you want to use, or use the Keyboard Viewer app on an Mac laptop/desktop. I can help if you indicate which layout you intend to keep using, British or one of the US options.

Logitech iPad Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.