Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing 8GB RAM in late '08 Unibody 13,3" MacBook gives 3 beeps

After finding out on the internet that it is possible to install 8GB of RAM in the late 2008 Unibody MacBooks I've decided to buy 2x 4GB of RAM to upgrade mine since my currenct 2x 2GB RAM isn't enough.

Unfortunately aftering installing the RAM and turning on my MacBook it just gave 3 beeps, which would mean 'no RAM banks passed memory testing' according to Apple's support page. Tried removing and replacing the RAM for about 10 times but it keeps gives me 3 beeps or sometimes it gave a SOS in morse code in beeps.

Also tried just installing only 1 of the 4GB RAM sticks or 1 old 2GB and 1 new 4GB stick, but that gave the same problem.

If I put the old 2x2GB RAM back in everything just works fine again.

Some information about my MacBook:
Model ID: MacBook5,1

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Bus speed: 1,07GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03

Running OS X 10.8.2

The RAM I bought:
Corsair (Value Select) CM3X8GSDKIT1066

2x 4GB

DDR3 (SODIMM)

PC3-8500

1066MHz

1,5 volts

Searched all over the internet to find a solution to my problem but nothing helped. My only guess would be that both RAM sticks are 'dead on arrival'. But since the chance of both sticks being DOA is very unlikely I decided to ask for some help here first before returning the RAM to the store. Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:47 PM

Return the Corsair ram, it soesn't work well in Macs. Buy from either Crucial http://www.crucial.com/ or

OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/

Stay away from Corsair, Kingston, Centon and pretty much another's not sold by one of the two vendors I listed.

23 replies

Dec 22, 2012 3:00 PM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to do that. Problem is that no shops here in The Netherlands sell OWC memory, and Crucial memory is only sold by some webshops but they are all overpriced and most of them got long shipping times because they don't have them in stock. Only afforadable option would be buying OWC memory online with international shipping, so I'll consider that.

Dec 22, 2012 3:59 PM in response to Dorusss

Two comments, if I may. I too tried adding 2 x 4 gB to a mid 2010 Macbook Model ID 7.1 without success. The best I have achieved is 1 + 4 - see below. (Original config was 2 x 1 gB). Each of the 4's work individually, but not together.

User uploaded file

I bought my RAM off a Amazon link, and I cannot complain since the RAM modules do work. It's my Macbook that won't do what others say it can.

Dec 22, 2012 4:07 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Because of exactly the reason I mentioned above. Do either of your new ram modules work by themselves without the addition of the original 1gb module? My guess is no. It works with the original because the original module forces the system to clock down the new module that on it's own runs at the wrong speed. The other manufacturers state that their ram works but Crucial and OWC guarantee it.

Dec 22, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

If you bought your RAM at a place that also sells PC RAM you may have gotten mislabelled RAM. PCs can handle different RAM speeds so they’ll often label higher speed RAM as a lower speed rather than make two different speeds of RAM. But Macs are much more picky. They require a RAM stick to be exactly 667mhz not 675mhz or 800mhz. The way to tell is to put one of your old RAM sticks in and it will force the new RAM to run at the correct speed.

This is from one review of PNY RAM:
"These modules are actually 800Mhz. PNY no longer makes or sells 667Mhz modules. Not all computers that require 667Mhz are compatible with 2 800Mhz modules. They refuse to down clock properly. This is especially true with a number of Core 2 Duo MacBooks. Spoke to PNY support, they flat out told me that yes, they sell 800Mhz modules in 667Mhz packaging. If you RMA a module that is 667Mhz (or supposed to be 667Mhz) they will replace it with an 800Mhz module as they no longer have any 667Mhz SODIMMs, not even for RMA replacement!"

Dec 22, 2012 4:56 PM in response to SeaPapp

Crucial memory advisor gave me only 4GB (2x2GB) RAM option. But that's probably because the 8GB is only unofficially supported by this MacBook model. The 8GB I found on the site looks exactly the same like the 4GB RAM the memory advisor showed me. It's also the only 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz SODIMM that's on their site, so I'm assuming that it would do fine.

Installing 8GB RAM in late '08 Unibody 13,3" MacBook gives 3 beeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.