Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How I was able to log into Apple Support Forums (Finally)

To make a long story short I ended up having to make a new Apple ID for several reasons. Fortunately this was fine for me considering I did not have any purchased items or funds still left on my old account.

One thing I haven noticed which is a huge factor when creating an account for Apple with the capabilties of using the forums is that some "registering for Apple ID" web pages differ than others.

The most prominent difference is that one of the register forms offers a "Nickname" text field that is not available of some of the other forms. I feel this is the main culprit as to why users run into several problems when trying to log onto ASC. If you don't have a nickname, how can you possibly post or login?

I am posting this in hope that others can find a solution to why the log in method is not working. I've tried all the other solutions out there that I could find and my own research is what worked for me.

Best of luck!

Please see attachments!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2, Black w/ Otterbox Defender!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:16 AM

7 replies

Dec 22, 2012 1:28 PM in response to rjmCreative

The username option is offered for the Apple Support Discussions forums only because you do not need it anywhere else; your email address is your login name. So, when you set up an account for the forums, you can choose to use your email address (which may not be a good idea if it has your full name - unless you do want to use that), or you can choose a more anonymous name.

Dec 22, 2012 1:33 PM in response to babowa

Yes I am aware of that. However if you look at the screenshots provided you will see that the Apple ID creation forms differ when it comes to creating a user name. I created an apple ID originally before this one and I wasn't even able to sign into the forums with my ID. I went to the highest level of tech support and still was out of luck. When I used the first form, I encountered the problems as described. When I re-created my apple id, (second screenshot) everything was working perfectly. It is a server side issue at this point and not end user. I am 110% sure of this.

Dec 22, 2012 1:41 PM in response to rjmCreative

Apple ID creation forms differ when it comes to creating a user name.

You may be correct, but I'm not convinced: since you do not use a special username for anything Apple related - be that iTunes, app store, whatever - except for the forums, it is with that registration that you need to enter one as is explained on the form (and only used for the forums):

User uploaded file

Dec 22, 2012 2:00 PM in response to rjmCreative

As I said: you don't need that name anywhere else - hence it is not offered anywhere else. But you do need it here.

Here is a link to creating an Apple ID for the forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/account.html

here is a screenshot of info re. creating an account (not for forums):

User uploaded file

taken from this page:

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleIdForIK B?localang=en_US&path=%2F%2Findex.jspa

You can have a separate one for these forums. The "regular" one is for "variety of Apple services" - forums not mentioned.

Dec 22, 2012 2:04 PM in response to babowa

You are 100% correct. However, when putting in the CORRECT credentials, there would be an unknown error that would occur which is why I called tech support even though no Apple employees are present on these forums. I tried this on various devices, with different browsers, adter clearing all settings. I consider myself relatively tech savvy, but this "bug" was beyond frustrating and this is the only logical way I was able to correct this issue.

How I was able to log into Apple Support Forums (Finally)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.