Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you sync one iPhone to two computers?

I usually sync my iPhone to an iMac where I download new apps, keep my music, etc. But when I'm not at home I have a MacBook and I want to use its iTunes (same account) to download apps instead of using iPhone battery to do that. Can I do it without messing up?

I also have an iCloud account, if that helps.

Another question, probably related:

What's the purpose of WiFi sync if you have to use the cable? Does a WiFi sync update the computer or the iCloud?

thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:59 AM

You can only sync to one Mac or PC. Wi-Fi sync allows you to sync the iPhone with iTunes without any cable, but you have to connect the iPhone with a cable to turn on the feature. After this, you'll be able to sync the phone wirelessly

5 replies

Dec 22, 2012 12:25 PM in response to goldfilm

I sync each of my iOS devices to two different Macs. I haven't had any problems syncing apps and backups of each device to both Macs. Both copies of iTunes are logged in under the same iCloud account, so there's no conflict with the list of authorized apps. I would not attempt this if each iTunes was logged into a different account.

If you want to sync anything else, you could get into trouble real fast. You need to be very aware of the different sync categories across the top in iTunes. For example, you can sync photos to one computer and podcasts to another, as long as you never turn on the same category on both Macs because that will cause each computer to overwrite the other's data. But since you said you don't want to sync music or photos, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

WiFi sync exists so that you don't have to grab a cable just to do a sync. It's convenient, but it's a lot slower than cable sync.

Ralph9430 wrote:

iOS devices are designed to sync with only one computer.

It's probably more accurate to say that iOS devices are designed to sync with only one account.

Can you sync one iPhone to two computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.