Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages 7.0.1 on 2011 iMac running 10.8.2 showing messages out of order

I'm having an issue with the Messages (v.7.0.1) application on my 2011 iMac running OS 10.8.2. My iMessage conversations sync from my iPhone 5 to Messages on my computer, but when my computer comes out of sleep, all messages from one side of the conversation are shown first, and my side shown second. Essentially, the Messages app is ignoring the time sent and not showing any texts in the correct chronological order while my computer was sleeping/off.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or possibly have a solution? It's quite obnoxious.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Messages version 7.0.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:09 PM

1 reply

Dec 22, 2012 2:32 PM in response to BurningRain

Hi,

It was first reported in Messages Beta.

If the App was Off line on the Mac and conversation took place via an iPhone or iPad and then the Mac was turned On and Messages Started then the iPhone conversation would start to sync.

This is not instant and plays out like a speeded up chat.

Any subsequent iMessages in that conversation are sent by the servers immediately and get mixed up with the "historical" catch-up.

People are reporting that similar issues are still happening in the Messages up despite the version 7.0.1 update.

I have seen claims that if you shut down Messages and restart it then it will look to the Time Stamps and place things in order.

I cannot replicate this

iPhone end

User uploaded file

Mac end.

User uploaded file

On the 29th the iPhone got a Message reply repeated.

Some Items from the Mac never made it to the iPhone (it's my iPhone and it should be syncing things)

The Mac never showed the Tesco/Lettuce conversation.

I would use the old iChat Feedback page to report this.

Messages is iChat+ and the versions numbers are sequential

User uploaded file
10:32 PM Saturday; December 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages 7.0.1 on 2011 iMac running 10.8.2 showing messages out of order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.