Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skip empty songs in iTunes 11

Hello.

Since version 11 iTunes does not skip empty songs in my library automatically anymore.

I have several empty songs in it, when clicking on it, it shows an exclamation mark on the left.

I could clean up my library, I know but I generally would like to know, if there is a way to make iTunes skip these songs automatically.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:12 PM

9 replies

Dec 26, 2012 8:21 AM in response to kilima

thank you.

My problem is, I cannot locate it any more because either the files were once played from an external disk or I no longer have them on my computer. The last iTunes version was clever enough to skip these tracks during playback and only promt me with this message when I click on a song that is shown in the library but is no longer available... so I think the problem is not really solved yet...

Dec 28, 2012 1:58 PM in response to The Foo Fighter

I have the same problem as The Foo Fighter.

Many albums in my music library are stored on an external drive, but I don't always carry it with me or connect it.

I usually just set iTunes to shuffle and listen to music that way. It used to skip any track it couldn't find. Now, it interrupts the music flow with a popup message asking me if I would like to locate the file.

This essentially means I can't listen to the music I have stored on my MacBook Pro on shuffle anymore, because iTunes expects me to come back to the computer to click 'cancel' everytime it encounters a song it can't find.

I don't want to delete these 'missing' tracks from iTunes, because they are not missing, I know exactly where they are. However, I don't think I should be required to connect my external drive every time I use iTunes.

I could create a massive playlist which contains all the tracks which are stored locally, but this means I need to constantly maintain and update that playlist when I get new music or shift albums over to the external drive.

Basically, this change pushes a great deal of work onto the user, when a simple 'skip unlocated tracks in Shuffle' option would do. Does such an option exist, or does anyone know of any alternatives (other than 'keep your external drive connected').

Thanks

Sep 13, 2016 9:23 PM in response to The Foo Fighter

I'm on 12.5.1. It's friggin 2016. Absolutely agree. I have some of my library on an external drive, some locally on my laptops hard drive. If I do not have the external drive plugged in, playback halts with a dialog box saying 'the original file cannot be found" for every song that is located on the external drive. Previous versions have just skipped this dialog box and continued to the next found file. This essentially makes iTunes unusable. Shuffle songs is def out of the question.

Apple seems to be nosediving iTunes straight into the ground for any users that actually have a music library. ***. Even if you subscribe to Apple Music, not everything exists within their service. I have thousands of albums that are not available in the Apple Music library, only on my personal collection.

Skip empty songs in iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.