Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After having the desktop stored for 6 months I have updated and mail fails to load , have followed these instructions twice still fails to load. Any suggestions. The new icon for mail exists and mail v4.6 exists in applications. v10.6.8and sec updt suces

MAil. After having the desktop stored for 6 months I have updated and mail fails to load , have followed the instructions posted fix (check for mail V4.6 in applications reload update combo reload security) regarding mail not loading, twice and it still fails to load. Any suggestions. The new icon for mail exists and mail v4.6 exists in applications. v10.6.8 and security 2012-004 updated succesfuly. all other apps ok all microsoft apps ok. Icon on click bounces once - nothing. Mail wont open by opening application direct.

Mail was working perfectly.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), mail fails to load

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:35 PM

4 replies

Dec 23, 2012 4:12 AM in response to johan60

You appear to be missing Resources, worth 68.1MB. Right click on Mail.app to see Package Contents. I'm betting Resources is AWOL. If you still have the 4.5 around, you could move Resources out from there into the new one. But doing that will change you to the owner, which won't be right. You must change it back in Get Info (CMD-I) for Resources, as per the screenshot below. Unlock the padlock to do that. Make sure to hit Apply to enclosed.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 23, 2012 4:42 AM in response to johan60

At least an old post I finaly found kind of helps thanx KevinKendal.

My mail v4.5 is gone also I dont have the disk to reload as all my stuff is not in this country and in storage. SO a lesson already,

apple cant be trusted just like any other large org.

after many months of knowing about the problem they still let users upload a 'security fix?' that stuffs your system up

now my probem is who can send me a copy or how do i get a copy of V4.5 so I cna start to fix this. I would move on to not using mail this way but have history and current mails i need to access. Once done will move off apple app onto gmail direct.

Dec 23, 2012 4:51 AM in response to johan60

You can get Mail 4.5 from Optional Installs on the install DVD. Just open it while it's sitting on your Desktop. Don't boot from the DVD. Make certain it's in the correct place in your Applications folder and not inside some enclosing folder. Remove any other Mail. app. Then run the update again.

Uh oh, just read no disc. Can you bring a Flash drive (thumb drive) to an Apple Store or Apple Repair and let them put Mail 4.6 on it, maybe.

After having the desktop stored for 6 months I have updated and mail fails to load , have followed these instructions twice still fails to load. Any suggestions. The new icon for mail exists and mail v4.6 exists in applications. v10.6.8and sec updt suces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.