3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2012 2:03 AM by leomore™
leomore™ Level 1 Level 1

Will it work?

I'm about to buy the Thunderbolt Display for my Mac mini, which I currently start up from external thunderbolt SSD.

Since the mini only has 1 thunderbolt port it'll be used for the display. I am concered about booting up the mini from the same SSD but plugged into the display's thunderbolt port. I am not sure it will work.

Any guess?

If it won't, is an HDMI to Thunderbolt/mini display port converter even extist? (So that I will leave the Thunderbolt port available for the solid state)

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.6GHz / 16GB Ram
Reply by woodmeister50 on Dec 23, 2012 1:06 AM Helpful

First, the Thunderbolt display can only be used connected to

a Thunderbolt port an a Mac.  No other connection is supported.

FWIW, I have booted Firewire drives connected to the Firewire

port on the Thunderbolt display so I don't see any reason why

a TB drive can't boot.

Reply by clintonfrombirmingham on Dec 23, 2012 1:43 AM Helpful

Does your external enclosure have two Thunderbolt ports? I have multiple TB LaCie drive connected but all have two TB ports and I use them between my Macbook Pro and my Thunderbolt Display (the display should always be at the end of the chain).

I really don't think that, if your enclosure has only one TB port, that you're going to be able to do what you want. You may want to look into an enclosure that has two Thunderbolt ports.

Clinton

All replies

• woodmeister50 Level 5 Level 5
    expertise.serversenterprise
    Servers Enterprise

First, the Thunderbolt display can only be used connected to

a Thunderbolt port an a Mac.  No other connection is supported.

FWIW, I have booted Firewire drives connected to the Firewire

port on the Thunderbolt display so I don't see any reason why

a TB drive can't boot.

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Does your external enclosure have two Thunderbolt ports? I have multiple TB LaCie drive connected but all have two TB ports and I use them between my Macbook Pro and my Thunderbolt Display (the display should always be at the end of the chain).

I really don't think that, if your enclosure has only one TB port, that you're going to be able to do what you want. You may want to look into an enclosure that has two Thunderbolt ports.

Clinton

• leomore™ Level 1 Level 1

I believe it'll work too, since Apple says the display is a fully compatible hub... but still, that's kinda risky (1.000 €).

No, my "enclosure" is a Seagate GoFlex with only one TB port (2.5" version).

Anyway guys, if it goes wrong I will take the mini in and put the SSD inside.

Thanks for your help!