Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages and FaceTime - I tried all the solutions but one

I have the problem a lot of others have. Mountain Lion 10.8.2, and I can't activate my me.com (or mac.com) account in the Messages or FaceTime application. I believe I have tried every diagnosis and solution, and one or two new ones, except a clean reinstallation of the OS. (And I have but little faith in that.)

My serial number is fine. The machine hasn't been worked on.

My /etc/hosts file is fine. Trust me, I've been on the internet since before DNS.

I deleted my com.apple.im* preferences files and killed imagent.

I took away the AIM account that used my mac.com identifier from Messages' preferences.

I tried that supplemental update for 10.8.2. "This software is not supported on your system."

I raised the debugging level on apsd and looked through its log - lots of <Notice> about enabled topics and connections with the courier, but no errors. Nothing to do with certificates or CRLs.

I checked the appfirewall log file. Nothing relevant there. I disabled the OS X firewall and tried again.

I tried typing a wrong password to see if the result was different. It was.

I deleted all passwords, signing keys, and authtokens related to Messages from the keychain. When they were recreated, I checked their access controls. All good.

I do see a lot of messages from imagent in system.log, like "Listener ID: com.apple.mail does not have capability: (Status), not allowing request" followed by a stack trace. The listener ID is always mail, iPhoto, or CalendarAgent.

Time to buy puts on AAPL.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 24", mid-2007, 4GB

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:32 PM

9 replies

Mar 23, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Matt Crawford2

open the "Keychain Access" app from the Applications > Utilities folder (or from spotlight search).

once the app opens, click on the "Keychain Access" menu in the top left corner, and then select "preferences".

In the window that opens, click the "Reset My Default Keychain" button.

CAUTION: This will delete all your saved forms and passwords on your computer. Make sure you know them before proceeding because you will be prompted to re-login to every single website and application where you had previously saved info.

Restart your computer. Viola. You are fixed. 🙂

Dec 23, 2012 2:34 PM in response to Matt Crawford2

HI Matt,

I do see a lot of messages from imagent in system.log, like "Listener ID: com.apple.mail does not have capability: (Status), not allowing request" followed by a stack trace. The listener ID is always mail, iPhoto, or CalendarAgent.

So this is an @Mac.com ID

Does the @mac.com ID also happen to be an iCloud ID ?

I use a non Apple email as my regular ID.

I linked this to my iCloud ID when I created that and got an @me.com ID as well

I have since only used the Original ID and the iCloud @me.com in Messages since then.

However I do seem to have "Separated" them for my two iPhones (one is linked to Messages on the Mac and the other is not).

I have some @mac.com name I use to test iChat and Messages over AIM with so I could set up Messages in a User Account using one of those.

I can do this tomorrow. (Means there will be a delay now).

User uploaded file
10:34 PM Sunday; December 23, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Dec 24, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Matt Crawford2

Hi,

In that case I think someone at Apple needs to look into the Account.

Start Here http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itunes/contact/

Click the right hand pane top item link about contacting iTunes Support.

In the Express lane page select Account Management in the left hand pane.

When the right hand pane appears select Managing or Editing account.

A Continue Button will now appear under all the options.

On the new page select the email option.

The exchange may be by chat or email (other people's reports seem to vary).

Some people have reported this has helped, pqarticularly when second computers are involved.

User uploaded file
7:03 PM Monday; December 24, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 24, 2012 11:34 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

HI,

I also tested adding an @mac.com name to a Test Mac User Account.

I used one I registered just for iChat via the Registration page tfor "iChat Names" which gave you @mac.com name during the run of the MobileMe service (Free but not email names)

Of course Messages eventually tells you it has sent an email which never arrives.

Trying to add an Alternative email the the Apple ID page tells me some emails are already in use with other IDs but will not accept the @iCloud one which is not used anywhere at the moment (It does not even tell it is because I and adding one Apple ID to Another)

I have run out of Non Apple IDs to test this further although apart from waiting for the verification it looks like it was working.

User uploaded file
7:34 PM Monday; December 24, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages and FaceTime - I tried all the solutions but one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.