Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with imac usb 3 ports

I am wondering if anyone has had a problem with the USB 3 ports on the new 21.5" iMac (late 2012) model. I have a WD USB 3 Hard Drive that as long as I plug into the first 3 USB ports (with the first being closest to the "stand" it works just fine. However, when I plug it into the 4th port (the one closest to the edge of the screen), the drive is never detected. The only difference I have identified is that the connector does not fully slide into the port like it does on the other 3. I don't need it immedleately, but was concerned this is a problem and wanted to see if anyone else has it?

Thanks,

Cary

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:07 PM

9 replies

Dec 23, 2012 7:58 AM in response to cary99

Im not sure but on the back of the new iMac the side tapers a lot so does the USB port appears not to go in all the way due the the shape? Thats just a guess. However I was wondering if you can plug anything else into that USB port to see if the port is actually working, if its not you will need to take it to an Apple shop or contact Apple. Can you plug something else into that port and if so is it recognised, maybe a thumbdrive?

problems with imac usb 3 ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.