Skip navigation

any thoughts on iOS 6.0.2?

1246 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 5:22 PM by Sk8Dreams RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Paul Richards4 Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 23, 2012 1:06 AM

Since the iTunes11 fiasco i will no longer just press the 'Update' button. I'll wait until I hear that everyone says that the new stuff works ok.

So have you updated to iOS 6.0.2 and if so has it caused any issues?

It says it's just a bug fix, but then again, it said that iTunes11 was an upgrade...

• imaybeawhile Calculating status...
    Dec 23, 2012 1:38 AM (in response to Paul Richards4)

WHat does it say when you select "learn more"

image.jpg

p.s. I haven't seen a 6.0.2 update yet

• wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (91,245 points)
    Dec 23, 2012 2:23 AM (in response to Paul Richards4)

My advice is to wait. This update, for iPhone 5 & iPad Mini, was designed to specifically address a WiFi issue that not all users were experiencing. There have now been reports of severe battery drain with a number of users, after applying the update. Since iOS 6.1 is just around the corner, my suggestion is to forgo iOS 6.0.2 & wait for iOS 6.1.

• Lutetia Level 4 Level 4 (1,855 points)
    Dec 24, 2012 9:40 AM (in response to wjosten)

Does anyone know how to revert to 6.0.1 if you've already installed 6.0.2? I updated not having read the forums first and have noticed a markedly reduced battery life (iPad mini) since installing the update. I'd like to go back to the factory settings on my iPad, but will I be able to downgrade back to the previous system?

• KiltedTim Level 8 Level 8 (35,855 points)
    Dec 24, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to Lutetia)

No. You can not downgrade.

Dec 24, 2012 11:54 AM (in response to KiltedTim)

Gee, that's annoying. Hope Apple comes up with a new update to fix this battery issue soon.

Dec 24, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to Lutetia)

Good news for anyone with the same problem: I've just discovered it is indeed possible to revert to an earlier iOS version using DFU mode and iTunes, along with the appropriate firmware download, available from Apple.

I've just successfully restored my iPad to 6.0.1 (from 6.0.2.)

Dec 25, 2012 5:15 AM (in response to Lutetia)

Congratulations. You've voided your warranty and rendered it unsupportable here or by Apple.

Dec 25, 2012 8:22 AM (in response to KiltedTim)

I wish I had known that before, Kilted Tim.  At least my iPad battery is working normally now.

Merry Christmas.

Dec 28, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to Paul Richards4)

Lutetia's Mac my be supportable, the iPad, on the other hand, no longer is. Downgrading is not supported. Doing so voids the warranty and renders it unsupportable here or by Apple. It's called a hack.

Dec 28, 2012 6:43 AM (in response to Paul Richards4)

Read the Terms of Service. They explain it quite clearly.

Dec 28, 2012 11:02 AM (in response to KiltedTim)

You know KiltedTim, I've owned Apple computers for nearly 25 years. Returning to previous OS versions when encountering problems with updates has always been part of the troubleshooting process. It would never have occured to me that doing so with the iPad was actually prohibited by the TOS. There was nothing in the box to indicate this. I assumed the TOS were the same as with my previous Apple products. It would be helpful in future when answering questions to make the distinction between "can not" and "are not allowed to". I took your response to mean it was not technically feasible. Naturally, I was relieved when I found that it was, and simple too. iTunes even verified everything with Apple. At any rate, 6.0.2 caused my battery to deplete very quickly. Restoring it to the original OS version at time of purchase resolved the issue. That's hardly a "hack." It's called fixing a problem.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.