Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro(non retina) i7 ssd vs macbook pro (retina) i5 base model? Urgent help needed.... Can't decide between those two:( Which one will be faster,better and most important future proof?

I need help:(

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:50 AM

12 replies

Dec 23, 2012 2:06 AM in response to traufenish

"Future-proof"? The non-Retina model. Don't buy it pre-configured with an SSD or a large amount of RAM from Apple - you can DIY for much less.

Lot's of us here have installed 16GB of RAM and up to 512GB SSDs. Personally, I have 16GB of Corsair RAM and a 512GB Crucial m4 series SSD. Pretty darned fast and I can keep multiple RAM-hungry apps going at once.

While it's possible to upgrade the flash storage on a Retina model, the limitation is that there's only one supplier and one 480GB option - from OWC.

I would go with the non-Retina and upgrade the hard drive to an SSD and upgrade the RAM if you wish. Much more 'future-proof' than the non-Retina.

Just my 2¢...

Clinton

Dec 23, 2012 2:40 AM in response to mende1

My budget is 1600$, 1700$ tops...

I'm a student so I get 100$ off, but then again, taxes in Seattle are high...

I will need it for school though. Weight is not a problem at all.. If 15 inch non retina is better than both 13 inch pro's for everyday use, then I will plan on getting the base model. It just seems to me like if i get the pro 13 now, I get more than I would get from 15 inch. Except for the GPU...

Dec 23, 2012 2:57 AM in response to traufenish

The i7 - while still a dual-core processor - would be slightly faster. 128GB isn't much storage - if you order the non-Retina, you can install a larger SSD and more RAM. With teh Retina, you're just stuck with what you order.

I'm certain that there are a lot of happy 13" Retina owners out there - maybe one of them will step in and give some clue as to what their experience has been.

Good luck,

Clinton

Dec 24, 2012 2:14 AM in response to traufenish

The 13" non-Retina MBP is the fastest machine, with a dual-core i7. If you don't want to play the Retina lottery, go with it. If you're looking for the most portable, go with the MBA. I would think that the 13" non-Retina would be the best 'future-proofing' investment as you can always upgrade the RAM and storage space should you wish.

My 2¢ again...

Clinton

Dec 26, 2013 2:21 PM in response to traufenish

Here are the pros and cons of the retina

Pros:

It has more battery life

It weighs 1 pound less, which believe me is quite a noticable difference

It has a retina display (very little glare, clearer display overall)

Comes with flash storage which is dramaticlly faster than an HDD and even slightly faster than your typical SSD

Cons:

No DVD Drive

Starts out with 128GB on basic model and 256GB space on mid model, which isn't exactly a ton of space for the price

Non user upgradable

Think about the cons. If none of them have any matter to you, then go with the retina. Me personally I don't mind the DVD drive not being there as I have almost never used it on my previous mac. I don't use much storage although I do agree 128GB feels a little small, but 256GB should be more than enough depending on what you do. You can always get an external HDD for a cheap price.

I don't like the fact that its not user upgradable and Apple charges a lot for ram but I still love the retina display and I feel like it's a worthy purchase for me.

Macbook pro(non retina) i7 ssd vs macbook pro (retina) i5 base model? Urgent help needed.... Can't decide between those two:( Which one will be faster,better and most important future proof?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.