Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my iPhone 5 while offline

So I have lost my iPhone 5 last night and I've tried using the Find My iPhone on iCloud and I've set it to lost mode and alarm but it won't work without Internet. I'm currently on holiday in the Philippines and my problem is that my phone is on Airplane Mode to avoid roaming charges.

I understand that this is my fault. I heard that iPhone 5 added a new feature to find the phone or lock even when it's offline via Satellite or something. Is there any way to find it?

I would really appreciate the help. Thank you!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:16 AM

If the phone can't connect to the internet, then you won't be able to track it or lock it. If it runs out of power or is turned off, then again, you won't be able to control it. Now, I could be wrong about an iphone 5, but I've never heard of this new feature. Can't see how it would contact a satellite while in Airplane Mode.

Try googling for iphone 5 and Find My iPhone, to see if there's any info that might be of help - if no one here can offer any suggestions. Sorry.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2012 10:16 AM in response to AwkwardAbbey

If the phone can't connect to the internet, then you won't be able to track it or lock it. If it runs out of power or is turned off, then again, you won't be able to control it. Now, I could be wrong about an iphone 5, but I've never heard of this new feature. Can't see how it would contact a satellite while in Airplane Mode.

Try googling for iphone 5 and Find My iPhone, to see if there's any info that might be of help - if no one here can offer any suggestions. Sorry.

Dec 23, 2012 10:32 AM in response to AwkwardAbbey

AwkwardAbbey wrote:

I heard that iPhone 5 added a new feature to find the phone or lock even when it's offline via Satellite or something.

You heard wrong. The ONLY way to locate your phone, is if Find My Phone was setup/activated, & turned on, BEFORE you lost your phone. There is no other way to locate it. This requires the phone be turned on & have an Internet connection.

Report the loss to the police, your carrier & Insurance company. Change all of your passwords.

Sorry, but there is no way to locate your phone now, other than physically looking for it.

I lost my iPhone 5 while offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.