Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my iPod 4g 8gb touh not update to higer version than 4.1?

I have a 4g 8GB iPod touch and I cannot figure out how to update it's software. I'm using a Mac with osx 10.5.8 and iTunes version 10.6.1. When I click "update" in iTunes under my iPod it says "This version of iTunes (10.6.1) is the current version" even though the description for the button is "A newer version of iPod software is available (6.0.1). To update your iPod with the latest software, click update".

I'm looking to get at least iPod software 4.3, if possible.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong, what I need to do, or why it isn't working.

iPod touch, iOS 4.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:14 PM

1 reply

Dec 23, 2012 2:26 PM in response to rgldail

To update you need iTunes 10.7 or later and that requires OSX 10.6.8. If you have a Mac with an Intel processor (as opposed to a Power PC G4 or G5) you can call Apple and order the Snow Leopard upgrade disk for about $29. A G5 and G4 can only go to 10.5.8.

If you update on another computer then you should be able to use the updated iPod with 10.5.8. See:

ios 6 and macosx 10.5 on a pre intel...: Apple Support Communities

Why doesn't my iPod 4g 8gb touh not update to higer version than 4.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.