Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to set a volume limit on my iphone so i can't go above 80 decibels, but the phone doesnt tell you how many decibels you are listening to so how would i do this?

I read that at 85 decibels your hearing starts to become permanently damged so i wanted to set a limit on my phone. I know how to actually set the limit, but how do i know how many decibels the limit is setting itself to?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:41 PM

1 reply

Dec 23, 2012 5:56 PM in response to Eperel

Eperel,

The phone does not know how many decibels are being delivered to your ears, because it is not aware of what kind of earphones or sound system it is playing into.

For the same volume setting on the iPhone, two different kinds of earphones can have very different volume levels to your ears.

If it sounds too loud, it is too loud. Please follow this guidance from the The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD):

"A good rule of thumb is to avoid noises that are “too loud” and “too close” or that last “too long.”"

I want to set a volume limit on my iphone so i can't go above 80 decibels, but the phone doesnt tell you how many decibels you are listening to so how would i do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.