Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move Win formatted ipod shuffle to a Macintosh?

Going to be a while but I am curious and preparing a list of things to do to make my switch to a macbook pro smooth.

If I have a win-formatted ipod shuffle and want to use that on my new mac do I have to reformat?

Reset? Re-register? What?

I want to do things the proper mac way.

Compaq Evo, Windows XP, Moving to a Mac soon

Posted on Apr 28, 2006 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2006 6:06 PM

If I have a win-formatted ipod shuffle and want to use that on my new mac do I have to reformat?
You don't need to reformat it. A Mac can read/write to a Windows formatted iPod without any real trouble.
The "problem" will arise if/when you want to install a firmware update on your iPod... which does happen periodically.
A Mac cannot do a firmware update on a Windows formatted iPod. You'd need to do the update from a Windows PC.

Proper is an awkward term to use... but I think I see your point.
If it were mine, I would Restore the iPod on the Mac, thus formatting it for Mac.
You'll get better transfer speeds this way, and faster mounting times.

EDIT:: Ignore my entire post. I just realized you have a Shuffle... which can only be Windows-formatted anyway.
My above advice would be suitable for any other iPod, besides the Shuffle.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2006 6:06 PM in response to Johnathan

You don't need to reformat it. A Mac can read/write to a Windows formatted iPod without any real trouble.
The "problem" will arise if/when you want to install a firmware update on your iPod... which does happen periodically.
A Mac cannot do a firmware update on a Windows formatted iPod. You'd need to do the update from a Windows PC.

Proper is an awkward term to use... but I think I see your point.
If it were mine, I would Restore the iPod on the Mac, thus formatting it for Mac.
You'll get better transfer speeds this way, and faster mounting times.

EDIT:: Ignore my entire post. I just realized you have a Shuffle... which can only be Windows-formatted anyway.
My above advice would be suitable for any other iPod, besides the Shuffle.

How do I move Win formatted ipod shuffle to a Macintosh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.