Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio stuttering

I have an Acer with the following specs:

AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz

3.73 GB Usable RAM

Windows 7 64-bit Operating System

Just downloaded iTunes 11.0.1.12

Why is my audio stuttering, and how can i fix this? Plays music and DVDs ok in Windows Media Player, so I don't think it's anything else wrong except for iTunes. Anyone else have this problem?

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:53 PM

2 replies

Feb 16, 2013 3:49 PM in response to AlienEyes

Hi AlienEyes. This keeps happening to me when I am foolish enough to succumb to iTunes' urging me to update. I've got an old computer running XP, not that I think that should matter given, as you have observed, other music playing software can play music fine.

Over a year ago, the fix that worked for me was turning off the iTunes crossfade:
Edit > Preferences > Playback > Crossfade songs OFF

However, this time, with crossfading already turned off, I had to go into Windows task manager and right click on iTunes.exe and set its priority to AboveNormal. That has fixed most of the stuttering (which was horrendous - even scrolling up and down a webpage triggered it). I have also been into the QuickTime's settings (via Control panel's classic view) and set the audio latency to 99msec. I'm still getting the odd extended note however.

My go-to solution is to unplug my speakers from the computer and plug them into my 20GB ipod instead. Only a bit annoying as the total music selection is more limited.

audio stuttering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.