Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Processor clock speed won't go below 2.1GHz on Mid 2012 MacBook Air 5.2

Hey,

So, I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on my MacBook Air 5.2 using Boot Camp (so it already has EFI ver 2.5, which supposedly fixes Intel Turbo Boost under BC)

BootCamp works as it should and it installed everything properly. However, the clock speed just won't go south of 2.1 GHz (above the 1.8 stock speed of my i5 and well beyond the <700MHz idle of Intel ULV processors, or notebook processors for that matter).

This means that my computer is permanently hot and its battery life takes a big hit under BootCamp. Is there any way to solve this? I've looked around in the forums and just about everywhere else on the Internet and I haven't found any similar case.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Air, Windows 7, MD231LL/A

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 9:02 PM

Solved it. Here's how I did it:
Installed thelatest EFI update (2.6) for my laptop.

Restarted into Windows, uninstalled current Intel drivers (those included in BootCamp).
Booted into Safe Mode & downloaded the latest Intel drivers for HD4000 directly from Intel.

Restarted and voila! Processor clock speed idles at 800MHz and scales up to 2.7GHz under load, but thermal issues no longer arise. 48ºC on idle!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2013 9:02 PM in response to lucianoc

Solved it. Here's how I did it:
Installed thelatest EFI update (2.6) for my laptop.

Restarted into Windows, uninstalled current Intel drivers (those included in BootCamp).
Booted into Safe Mode & downloaded the latest Intel drivers for HD4000 directly from Intel.

Restarted and voila! Processor clock speed idles at 800MHz and scales up to 2.7GHz under load, but thermal issues no longer arise. 48ºC on idle!

Processor clock speed won't go below 2.1GHz on Mid 2012 MacBook Air 5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.