Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a dictionary to Dictionary.app

Hello everybody,

I've been messing around with dictionary.app via track pad (it is called "Look up", three fingers tap to activate). I find it extremely usefull and therefore I wish I could add a translate option to this function. For example I am looking for Russian-English-Russian dictionary.

The goal is to find the plug in supported by dictionary.app (as well as I understand, I need a file xxx.dictionary located in /Library/Dictionaries). So I DO NOT look for a separate translate application, that can not be integrated into dictionary app.

Ofcourse I did search google and forum, and the most common advice is to go to StarDict for downloads. But as soon as I follow the link I get the message "The original StarDict project has recently been removed from SourceForge due to copyright infringement reports. Most of the files were lost with the demise of the project."

So it looks like this solution is out of date.

Could you recommend any solution?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

Adding a dictionary to Dictionary.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.