Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't Quicktime play .mov files on my new Windows 8 notebook?

I recently had to buy a new notebook, and the new machine has Windows 8 on it. I can no longer play the .mov files sent from IPhones using Quicktim. What could be the problem causing this?

Other OS, Windows 8 using QuickTime Pro

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:08 AM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2015 7:21 AM in response to WaddyTiii

Hiya WaddyTiii

You've probably sorted it by now, but just in case - or if anyone else reads this thread - I have picked out a few bits of information which sortof helped me....

You may not get resolution, but I think my comments might help you (or somebody else). 😎

Problem:

• I don't know what OS you are using now, but I had no problems on Windows 8. I even upgraded to Windows 8.1, which was better. Then the issue started happening.
  • Not just the inability to play back .mov files, but also File Explorer crashing when you try to change the view. e.g. details or content.
  • You might also see reference to mfmp4srcsnk.dll in the event log.

First, I am no technical Guru, but this bugged me. In fact it bugged me I spent a week looking on the Internet... So I just want to pass on (for me) the most useful source of help I found. (Which was not me! )

I cannot take responsibility for any problems that may arise. I just hope this reply may help, that's all.

Credits:

My comments are based on comments by RobertGr. ℹ

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/mfmp4srcsnkdll -crashing-when-mov-file-is-selected/83b68537-658c-4920-96c4-2f7da8a3bfaf?page=9

Probable cause:

Two conditions are true on your computer:

• Issues with a Windows Update - reference KB2975719 ℹ BTW.. (Note that I believe this Windows update has been 're-released', but still is 'having issues'. )
  • Certain MOV files recorded on Apple devices are on your computer.ℹ

Solution:

Be gentle with me... 😉

There are two parts to understanding and rectifying this. Read both parts first.

Now, there are different things going on here.... this is a little tricky... :-)

My own findings pointed to no issues at all with a clean install of Windows 8.0. The problem started after updating. Even after running a Windows Update with Windows 8.0 I had this issue. However, the effects were much more pronounced in Windows 8.1.

PART ONE

Rectification of the fault

Removing the file

IMHO you can try to remove the KB2975719. Some have had success in removing the problem by doing this. But for me and many others , the problem remains, and even after removal and rebooting you may find the issue exists.

Renaming the file:

Some have tried (like me) to rename mfmp4srcsnk.dll which probably is located in the C:\windows\system32 folder - but - you need to look at the Event Log of any crashing to find out the actual location of the mfmp4srcsnk.dll file.

(Note: If appropriate, in order to rename the file, you may need to change the security on this file from 'Trusted Installer' to 'Administrator'. I understand this is typical for an OEM supplied / installed Windows operating system. )

Reinstalling the operating system from scratch - I am being serious, not being funny, when I say that this may be the fastest way to get going again if the first two methods don't work. If you Google around you may find there is simply too much confusion in resolution articles to put this one fault right.

After reinstalling, it is vital to ensure that you do not download this Windows update KB2975719. I believe you can choose to always ignore this update in the settings somewhere.

[ By the way (just for those who haven't done a reinstall before: Seek out advice from someone who has, and buy a backup USB Hard drive such as Western Digital Passport, and backup as much as possible. Your adviser will ensure you don't miss bits hidden in strange places like Outlook Files ... . (By the way I use Vice Versa Pro to do this easily - but it may be too advanced for beginners) ] By the way also, these are my own ramblings, I am a retired old git, and I have no axe to grind, recommend, sell or connection with any manufacturer, supplier, source, crystal ball, zodiac sign or Number 10... 🙂

PART TWO

So here's what Robert wrote, which for me throws helpful light on what is going on. ℹ

QUOTE:

• I have verified that .MOV files created on other devices (e.g. Panasonic Lumix camera) never cause the crashes.
  • I've also found thatiPhone clips created on/before 19 Sep 2013 never cause a crash.
  • But a file created on an iPhone on 23 Feb 2014 always cause crashes.
  • And it's easy to predict which files will cause a crash: if File Explorer shows a proper '1st frame' icon for the file then it won't crash. If it shows a generic Quicktime icon it will crash when properties are retrieved (hover over the icon).

CONCLUSION

I think this is one of those issues that Microsoft will blame Apple, and Apple will blame Microsoft. I haven't got a clue whether one or both will ever sort it out.

At the time of writing this (10th Feb 2015) I decided to conclude spending more time on it. I established that I could use Windows 8.0 without a problem if I ensured the update never got on. In addition, I didn't want to spend more time on the better Windows 8.1 in preventing the update getting on - mainly because there was the chance the update was needed for correcting some other Windows issue.

So, I took the bull by the horns and went and downloaded Windows 10 Technical Preview to see whether the same issue arose on it.

The good news is it did not. In fact my XPS computer seemed more fluid and smoother in use than 8.1.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Now, I have taken the precaution of taking an image of this 'Win 10 TP' installation.

If it is helpful, I will return to this Apple page and put an update if the issue returns whilst using 10.

In the meantime, a final hint might help anyone wanting a simple fix.... I would advocate moving the .MOV files into their own folder. It won't solve the problem but it will put all the bad stuff in one place. It seems to cause less trouble.

Best of luck

O'C 😎

End

Mar 21, 2015 7:23 AM in response to andrewsa276

Glad it worked for you

Just an update at March 2015

I am given to understand that the KB2975719 has been either revamped during later Feb or March , or Microsoft have done another update to fix it.

I am not going to try to find out whether the issues is now finally resolved because it will mean wiping and reloading my computer with Windows 8, then Windows 8.1 upgrade - and to be honest it is going sweetly with the Windows 10 Technical Preview I just don't want to change anything.

Why can't Quicktime play .mov files on my new Windows 8 notebook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.