Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Backup Error Message

I received this error message during an attempted backup: Time Machine could not delete the backup disk image "Volumes/Data/xxxxxx yyyyyyyy'y iMac_2012-12-23-201545.sparsebundle." I tried to do a manual backup and got another error message saying the backup disk is not available. Fix?

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 10:24 AM

5 replies

Dec 28, 2012 2:12 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the response Kappy. I followed a number of Pondini's troubleshooting tips with no luck. The Time Capsule disk is not shown in Finder or in the Time Machine Setup Window, Select Disk, I get the Red Circle with the slanted line "None". It's been visible before but no longer. When opening Time Machine, I get this error message: "your Time Machine backup disk can't be found". I think my Time Capsule hard drive is kaput.

Dec 29, 2012 4:26 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks guys, but I confirmed my hard drive is dead. After powering off and on, it came back momentarily in Finder but with audible clicking. And soon after, it disappeared from Finder altogether. I took it to a Genius Bar at the Apple Store and since it's still under warranty, I'm getting a free replacement from Apple. Thanks for the help!

Time Capsule Backup Error Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.