Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play .MOV files in Quicktime after upgrading to OSX 10.6

Recently upgraded from OS X (10.5) to OS X (10.6). .MOV files played fine in Quicktime before the upgrade.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:15 PM

11 replies

Dec 26, 2012 6:07 AM in response to alvin256

I recorded the movie using a camera, and the file plays on the camera as a movie... I'm stumped.

Then I suggest you compare the size of the playing file on your camera with the size of the non-playing file on your computer—they may not be the same. As QTKirk indicated, 40.37 KB seems unreasonable for any normally encoded non-anamorphic 1280x720 MPEG-4/AVC file more than a few frames long. For comparison purposes, a typical 1280x720 JPEG photo compressed to its smallest file size setting on a Mac would have a file size on the order of 100 KB. Other ways to look at your file would be...

a) if it is one second long, then its data rate is on the order of 322.96 Kbps

b) if it is two seconds long, then its data rate is on the order of 161.48 Kbps

c) if it is three seconds long, then its data rate is on the order of 107.65 Kbs

etc., etc., etc. which is unheard of for any reasonable amount of quality for 1280x720 HD dimensions in this compression format.

User uploaded file

Dec 26, 2012 9:07 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon: Appreciate your help. I had been 'exporting' the file from iPhoto, which apparently resulted in one frame of the movie instead of the whole movie. Instead, I copied/pasted the file to my hard drive, and the whole movie resulted (which is a much larger file and also plays correctly in QuickTime). What I can't explain, however, is that .mov files are now playing correctly in iPhoto, and they were not doing that when I posted the question initially. Again, thank you for your help. Joe

Sep 11, 2013 10:34 AM in response to alvin256

I need an urgent help, I made some audio on my iphone 5 and then I wanted to see it on Windos VIsta 7 however by mistake I did a cut paste from Windows explorer and pasted it in desktop and now I cannot play that file, also the size of that movie was 1 hour 39 minutes and of 11 GB however now I can see that it has become of 117 MB on my desktop.

Please please please help this is very important for me..

Aug 5, 2015 12:39 PM in response to BryanUtah

so how do i fix it so i can view a video i edited in adobe premiere when quicktime wont play it ?

If edited by Premier in compression formats not natively compatible with QT, then either export the edited results to compression formats that are QT compatible or use a player that supports the data in its native form. Since you have not provided any specific information regarding the codecs, settings, player, or system in use, all we can do here is provide this general response.

User uploaded file

Can't play .MOV files in Quicktime after upgrading to OSX 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.