Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Neither the "Photos" nor the "Music and Sounds" browsers work

They both are blank and the dropdown menus contain nothing. I have both iTunes and Aperture installed.

If I pull down and expose the top area and drop into it a folder of photos or music, a green arrow appears and the top area is framed in green. But when the folder is dropped nothing happens. The name does not appear in the top area. I have tried folders straight from iTunes, others with MPEGs and folders with JPGs; none of them appear when dropped. (If I try a folder with incorrect files it does not show the green plus and rejects it, as expected.)

I've reinstalled FCPX 10.0.6 (Trial Version) twice, rebooted, removed all preferences, logged in as a different user and cursed violently. None of these actions have solved the problem.

I'm using Mac Lion and the most current versions of iTunes and Aperture.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 14GB RAM, 6G Mercury Extreme SSD

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:54 PM

20 replies

Dec 24, 2012 1:30 PM in response to Ezlivin

Is that the music browser? You can't drag into the music browser in most circumstances. It's an access to your media from inside the application. If you're trying to import a folder you drag it into an event in the event library. You can only drag into the top area if a plus button appears. Are you getting that? The image doesn't show that.

You have something else wrong with the application. Did you download the additional content for the application?

Message was edited by: Tom Wolsky

Dec 24, 2012 1:40 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The image does not show a plus sign because the screenshot eliminates it (try it for yourself). I'll see if I can create an animated GIF that captures the plus sign.

I am following the instructions in the Help file and the instructions in Apple's Pro Training series, both of which tell me to either use the dropdown menu to browse for files (and that remains stubbornly blank) or to drop a folder of images or music/sounds to the Music and Sound or Photo Browser.

Dec 24, 2012 1:57 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

When I first downloaded and installed FCPX Trial Version the Music and Sound and Photo browsers worked fine. But I experienced a freezing problem (solved by removing a widget from the Dashboard) and spent many, many hours trying to solve the problem. I learned to switch users to see if a problem persisted. In the aforementioned problem I saw that it was related to a User-specific configuration; in this case, a widget.

I've checked disk permissions, cleaned caches, checked file permissions and rebooted in an effort to solve this particular problem. I also deleted FCPX and all of its associated files and reinstalled them. No change.

Like you, I have Garageband and other loops. They were "seen" at one time by the app.

Dec 24, 2012 2:07 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I started with a Mac Plus in 1985. I've been in MUGs and worked tech support.

I am very, very good at solving Mac problems and usually defeat all comers, but this one is simply baffling. Since it's not cleared by logging in as a different user or by reinstalling the software, I can only think that it has something to do with how it's browsing the file system. If I didn't know better I'd think there was a firewall shutting off the file system. (The firewall is currently shut off.)

Neither the "Photos" nor the "Music and Sounds" browsers work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.