Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Checking media..."

Trying to burn an mp3 CD from playlist of songs I imported from commercial CDs into iTunes. Have double-checked all preferences, read iTunes Help, and the instructional info at apple.com. Still can't do it.

I select a playlist (under 700mb, all mp3 format, all commercial cd cuts previously imported into iTunes). I click on the "Burn" icon (upper right corner). I'm instructed to insert a blank disc. After doing so (I use major brand blank CDs), the "Burn" icon continues to "pulsate" but the only thing that happens is that I get the blinking message "Checking media..." in the little window that ususally shows the song title when playing music. This blinking message will go on for hours if I leave the computer.

I am certain that my blank CDs are OK because after failing to burn the playlist in iTunes, I then import that same playlist into Toast Titanium 6, use the same blank CD, and Toast burns the CD on the first attempt.

But I don't want to use Toast because Toast for some reason re-orders the songs in every playlist I import into Toast (from iTunes). Toast insists on alphabetizing the songs - can't figure out how to get around this. So I want to burn CDs in iTunes, not Toast.

As to iTunes burning, I've tried using different brands of media, different playlists - nothing works.

Help, please.

G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6) Dual Quad

Posted on Apr 29, 2006 1:22 AM

5 replies

Apr 29, 2006 2:27 AM in response to mazuma

When burning MP3 CDs, it's always good practice to use file names with track numbers, e.g. 04. Changes IV.mp3. At this point, it becomes trivial which software you use to burn the CD. You could even use the Finder and have complete control over the directory/file structure of the resulting MP3 CD.

As long as all your files are tagged properly with track numbers, you could use iTunes to add track numbers to the files on your hard drive. To do this, you could go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Importing, and check the "Create file names with track number" checkbox. This should solve the problem with Toast and any other software you're using to burn MP3 CDs.

I unfortunately don't have a lot of other suggestions to give you in order to get iTunes to burn the discs for you. I never like to advise telling people to try different media; when discs don't work with iTunes but work with other applications, this seems plain silly. As I see it, the only burning iTunes really "needs" to do is burn audio CDs from iTMS purchased music, since nothing else will take care of this. All other sorts of data CDs and DVDs can easily be burned with alternative (even free) software.

Apr 29, 2006 12:41 PM in response to NoName

Thanks to Suomi for his (or her) timely response. It's clear she/he tried their best to provide assistance.

However, Suomi's repsonse didn't apply to my situation.

I do indeed import songs into iTunes with track numbers.

Here's why it's important to me to be able to burn CDs in iTunes rather than Toast.

That's because, in Toast, even WITH track numbers, Toast insists on re-ordering the songs in my playlist. With track numbers present, Toast lists all the track ones first. Then all the track twos, etc. So, the existence of track numbers in my playlist does not solve the problem I am experiencing when trying to burn CDs in Toast.

That's why I want to use iTunes to burn CDs - besides the fact that I just paid $3000 for a G5 dual quad - you'd think the thing would have the capability to burn a CD or two.

This problem of playlist automatic song re-ordering that happens in Toast doesn't happen with playlists while burning in iTunes. With iTunes, I can manage to "shuffle" the tunes. Or, I can sort the playlist by "Time" (each song's duration) in order to get a varied sequence of songs in the playlist.

Is there anywhere within the Apple organization (other than this discussion board we're posting to now) that I can contact about my problem?

Apr 29, 2006 3:22 PM in response to mazuma

You may want to have a look at iTunes: How to set the play order of songs on an MP3 CD.

I never once have had an MP3 CD turn out wrong, because I keep my music organized by Artist/Album/Track Number. Title, and can simply burn the necessary folders to a data CD with any software I choose.

If you just take a collection of files with track numbers, and you don't have any directory structure (no folders), then of course you will end up with all the 01s together and then all the 02s, etc.

By the way, the name isn't Suomi--that's the name of the country where I live--the same place where the mobile phone you own was probably made, home of Linus Torvalds, etc.

Apr 29, 2006 6:17 PM in response to NoName

I've solved my problem, but I think this may be a bug in the iTunes6 program.

I was doing everything right. Only solution that finally worked was to go to
iTunes Preferences > Advanced > Burning > Preferred Speed

Under the Preferred Speed section (which had always been set to Maximum Possible), I changed the setting to 2x.

Only then, did the blank CD begin to burn. I interrupted the burning and changed the Preferred Speed again, this time to 4x.

Same thing happened. Repeated my procedure, interrupting the burning and changing the Preferred Speed again, this time to 8x. Same thing happened.

Now I changed the Preferred Speed back to Maximum Possible. Now I can again burn CDs in iTunes6.

I think this may be a bug in the iTunes program.

However, thanks to the chap from Suomi for the time and effort in trying to help me.

G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6) Dual Quad

"Checking media..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.