Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP Compatibility with MacBook Air?

I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air running OS X Lion 10.7.5 and the latest version of Itunes. I downloaded HD TV episodes of Breaking Bad Season 4 yesterday and cannot play them, I get a message that they can only be played on HDCP compatible devices. How can my Mac not be compatible with iTunes content?

I have already looked up this issue on the support forums and found several solutions, none of which have worked. I am trying to play the movies just on my Mac, not to any external device. I tried looking for updates of iTunes / OS X and have the latest versions of both. I tried going to my iTunes media folder to see if there were non HD versions there as well, there were not. I checked my preferences in iTunes under Store, to ensure that it was set to 720p which it is. I am all out of options.

Can anyone help me play this content, or help me raise it as a complaint and get a refund?

Thanks a million! Oh, and Merry Christmas 🙂

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), iTunes 11.0.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:48 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 9:25 PM in response to MichelleTO

It is now 2 years later, and I still have this issue, although it started later. Until December of 2014 I was able to watch movies from the iTunes store, then it suddenly stopped. I have the same MacBook Air as you do.

iTunes support is very polite, partially refunds your issue (they also have issues calculating), but is for the rest completely useless—they don't seem to be able to comprehend the issue.

I now rent movies from the competition—their offerings work fine.

HDCP Compatibility with MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.