Welcome to the Apple Community and a merry Christmas.
If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:
1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
4. Open iTunes.
5. Select your Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.
If when you choose restore you get a message that the device cannot be found, download the file below
Then hold down the option key while choosing restore and select the downloaded file when prompted.
Merry Christmas to you Winston!
1. I did remove all cables
2. pluged micro usb in AppleTV and Mac
3. did not reconnect power cable as this is AppleTV2
4. started iTunes 11.01
5. AppleTV does not show in devices, it is not there. Hence I acn not restore.
The problem seems to be to make AppleTV visible under devices.