Try changing the DNS on the ipad. I had problems playing youtube videos via wifi on ipad 4 but it worked great via the 3g and I searched for days for a solution until I ran into an article that suggested I change my ISP DNS server to an opendns or google's dns. I changed it to the open dns and it worked great. Write down your current DNS, just in case you need to change it back and do the below steps.
- Access Settings on your device.
- Locate Wi-Fi on the left side and tap on it.
- Tap on the blue arrow next to the current wireless network
- Tap on the DNS field there and enter the DNS servers 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 for Open DNS or 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 for Google Public DNS. (seperate by a coma not and)
- Renew Lease
Some things to try first:
1. Turn Off your iPad. Then turn Off (disconnect power cord for 30 seconds or longer) the wireless router & then back On. Now boot your iPad. Hopefully it will see the WiFi.
2. Go to Settings>Wi-Fi and turn Off. Then while at Settings>Wi-Fi, turn back On and chose a Network.
3. Change the channel on your wireless router (Auto or Channel 6 is best). Instructions at http://macintoshhowto.com/advanced/how-to-get-a-good-range-on-your-wireless-netw ork.html
4. Go into your router security settings and change from WEP to WPA with AES.
5. Renew IP Address: (especially if you are droping internet connection)
• Launch Settings app
• Tap on Wi-Fi
• Tap on the blue arrow of the Wi-Fi network that you connect to from the list
• In the window that opens, tap on the Renew Lease button
iOS 6 Wifi Problems/Fixes
Fix For iOS 6 WiFi Problems?
Did iOS 6 Screw Your Wi-Fi? Here’s How to Fix It
How To Fix Wi-Fi Connectivity Issue After Upgrading To iOS 6
iOS 6 iPad 3 wi-fi "connection fix" for netgear router
Apple's iOS 6 Wi-Fi problems
Look at iOS Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398
iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3304
WiFi Connecting/Troubleshooting http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/wifi/
How to Fix: My iPad Won't Connect to WiFi
iOS: Connecting to the Internet http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1695
iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199
How to Quickly Fix iPad 3 Wi-Fi Reception Problems
iPad Wi-Fi Problems: Comprehensive List of Fixes
Fix iPad Wifi Connection and Signal Issues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWtIG5jUxE
Fix Slow WiFi Issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=60&tstart=0
How To Fix iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch Wi-Fi Connectivity Issue http://tinyurl.com/7nvxbmz
Unable to Connect After iOS Update - saw this solution on another post.
Note - When troubleshooting wifi connection problems, don't hold your iPad by hand. There have been a few reports that holding the iPad by hand, seems to attenuate the wifi signal.
If any of the above solutions work, please post back what solved your problem. It will help others with the same problem.
Hey everyone, recently I started facing similar problems in my ipad4. It worked fine till a few days ago. I had a long talk on the Apple 24x7 helpline and read alot of articles on thd internet, and came to theconclusion that it has to be some software issue. Some of the problems I face are,
my ipad works perfectly on wifi in my university, however works at home only within 10-15 ft from the router where as my iphone 5, dell laptop, my roommate's android phone and hp laptop work perfectly. Once i take the ipad near the router , it works like an F1 car, but more than 15 feet away, it works like a bullock cart. The apple customer care helpline will just tell you its a router issue or reset ur ipad. I did everything, reset my ipad to factory settings, my router to factory settings. It still wont work. I am pretty sure apple needs to get a software update for it. I was a huge fan of apple, and always recommeded apple to people, but if apple continues like this with new products every 6 months, and then software issues for another 6 months, i think i would have fo change my mind.....
Hey, I tried almost everything, reset my router, updated my ios... but no luck... at last, i decided to bring the wireless router into my room and keep it just below my table. As a result the router is just under the ipad's butt. It gives a good network. but the sad thing is that it has become more like a wired thing. I cant use it in any other room than mine. However, in the university, my ipad works like a king. When I first received the ipad, it worked perfectly everywhere. It seems the ios updates screwed it all up, and I am sure apple guys have no idea about it. They bring updates for stupid calendar problems. but fail to see the wifi issues......
You are missing a potential culprit in thie scenario - the ROUTER.
Try changing channels on the router, away from AUTO.
Or else check other people's wifi networks, to see if the iPad works better on those.
At least then you can determine if it really is the iPad.
It didn't make sense, as the iPad here suddenly wouldn't see the many networks in the neighborhood it used to see - but changing the router channel was the game changer.
(This was after a backup & restore, then re-flashing the firmware, none of which alleviated the problem).