Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download the rest of the loops/instruments

I am trying to download all the optional instruments in garage band and I get the message:

"The Software Instrument or Apple Loop selected is currently being installed.

You have already ignited the installation of additional content for GarageBand via Software Update. For additional information please open the "Software Update" application."

However when I look at software update all I see is "No Updates Available". How do I get the rest of the instruments?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 11:20 PM

11 replies

Dec 25, 2012 1:13 AM in response to tikvenik

Is this a new mac and did GarageBand come preinstalled? Or did you migrate from a different Mac? There may be many reasons for this problem, check the possible causes:

• Check, if GarageBand is installed in the "Applications" folder and named GarageBand. Otherwise you cannot update it.
  • Have you accepted a preinstalled GarageBand to your AppleID? Sign into to AppStore and check the Purchase Tab. Accept, if necessary.
  • GarageBand may already have downloaded the loops, but not indexed them. Then you could try to rebuild the Loop Index: Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand
  • GarageBand may not be able to remember that it updated, because of corrupted preferences, then try HangTime's "oddball" problems fix and delete the preferences:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#oddballprobs

Remember, in Mt. Lion the user library is hidden; you open it best from the Finder's "Go" menu, from the main menu bar:

Go > Go to folder then hold down the alt/option key until the library appears in the drop down menu. Select it to open and remove the file Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist

If all fails, try to reinstall GarageBand - move the application to the Trash and download it again from the AppStore.

. Re: GarageBand '11 won't download additional loops

Regards

Léonie

Apr 7, 2013 2:33 PM in response to léonie

Unfortunately, none of this works for me. I bought a Mac Mini from an Apple store a few weeks ago. It has the latest software (apparently), and Garage Band basically seems to work. But the clicking on the "extra" instruments tries to initiate an update process that simply never works.

As far as I can tell, the extra instrument download doesn't work for anyone anywhere ever.

Pretty frustrating.

Apr 7, 2013 10:16 PM in response to tutufan

As far as I can tell, the extra instrument download doesn't work for anyone anywhere ever.

I am sorry to hear it is not working for you.

But believe me, there are plenty of happy GarageBand Users where the additional contents did download and install without any problems. I just reinstalled my system and GarageBand and everything installed as advertised. In these forums you usually only see the users posting who are having problems, not the ones without problems.

May 5, 2013 2:47 PM in response to tutufan

I'm having similar problems. New Mac Mini but can't download the extra instruments. I had bought the latest Garageband in the MAS before my new Mac Mini, but I can't download the extra instruments on my new Mac Mini (with GB pre-installed) or on my old MacBook, where I installed from the App Store.

Something is not right here!

May 28, 2013 12:17 PM in response to SC::UK

I'm in more or less the same boat. My MBA came with Garageband and it's able to update, but my new iMac has been unable. I wonder if this is a MAS problem where I 'accepted' Garageband on the MBA, so it's confused about it's status on the iMac? I've tried every 'tip' I could find but so far it refuses to update.

Is there a way I can transfer the instruments and loops from my MBA to the iMac and trick it to think it's done the update?

Cannot download the rest of the loops/instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.