Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i back up my computer using a USB port?

I just bought a Toshiba External HD. I dont have an airport. The hard drive has a USB cable. I just want to back up my Macbook with the USB. I dont know how to do this. I thought you needed to use Time Machine but it never shows up and a back up device. I tried disk utility and it didnt show up there either. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:57 AM

8 replies

Dec 25, 2012 10:10 AM in response to Y-Dog123

When you connect it to the MBP, you hear nothing?

By any chance does the USB cable have two USB connectors? If so plug both of them in.

Just to make certain, do you have FINDER Preferences set to recognize HDDs on the desktop?

User uploaded file

If it does not show up on the desktop or Disk Utility, then it suggests that there is a problem in the MBP. I then would take the MBP to a repair facility with the Toshiba HDD to diagnose the exact problem.

Ciao.

How do i back up my computer using a USB port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.