Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad first generation update help

Help! My children got an iPad first generation for their Christmas present this year. My son cannot even download the apps for autism (one of the only reasons that I went OS) because, like a typical mother, I reset the device prior to gifting. Now, when I connect it to iTunes for an update like the forum dictates...I am told by the update button that my dysfunctional iPad is up to date! Help me please, my children are so upset and I would just like the 5.1 that was on it prior to my failure in judgement. It says that the device is 16 GB with 4.2 (8C134) "Version" with only 14 GB "Capacity"

iPad, iOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:12 PM

7 replies

Dec 25, 2012 2:37 PM in response to chelle2891

The latest iOs version for a first generation iPad is 5.1.1 You say you have 4.2 but that itunes is saying you are fully up to date?

To make sure what iOs version you have, on the iPad go to Settings->General->About and look for the Version section.

This will tell you exactly what version of iOS is installed.

Anythng less than 5 and you should be able to update to 5.1.

As far as the apps go, some may require iOS6 though I find it kind of strange. You can check in the details section for each App what exactly they require.

Mar 8, 2013 10:44 AM in response to chelle2891

My Autistic Son, has the origin

al IPAD 1 - which has been wonderful for him, both at home and at school! It was 'touted' as the greatest tool for kids with autism! Autistic kids will really benefit from this.

All of this is true. However Apple in it's short-sidedness to this special community of users - many of which cannot afford to upgrade to new, quicker, better versions of IPAD - nor need to for the most part because their original IPAS (which was not an inexpensive purchase) still work wonderfully - if it's not broke don't fix it....mentality ....money does not grow on trees either especially in this economy....)

anyway we cannot upgrade to OS6 which would allow my son to access 2 wonderful new and reasonably priced APPS now available for the ipad - from a great company CRICKSOFT - who gives this population access to the written word - and now offers their programs as apps. - unfortunately it will not run on the original ipad - and there does not seem to be a "patch" of cost-effective way to incorporate this or any other 'new app' that will come up especially designed for the Special Ed population.

I hoping, = please oh' please someone from apple will read this and pass it on to the powers that be - and this problem will be solved ASAP.

Anyone out there who know WHO COULD ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SITUATION. Please reply to my post!

Thank you all for reading and really hoping there is a positive outcome in the near future.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4038048

posted to apple online community discussion board 3/7/2013

Post to :

Nov 13, 2013 2:00 PM in response to kkncrew

oh man the lady on apple chat is amazing!!!
Ok so here it is step for step:

1. sign into your apple ID

2. make sure you have purchased through itunes the desired app, does not matter where I did it on my pc and phone.

3. go to itunes on your ipad gen 1.

4. go to your purchase history, bottom of the screen says purchased.

5. click down load, it will now ask if you want to download an older version.

If you go into itunes and just try and download something then sync it to the ipad it will not work.

life is better now!!!

iPad first generation update help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.