Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect size when photo edited in photoshop

If I am viewing an image at full screen in iPhoto and then open it for editing in Photoshop, The resulting saved image is the wrong size when it uploads to Flickr. Sometimes, it also appears at the wrong size when viewed in iPhoto as well. Generally, rebuilding thumnails corrects the problem. Likewise, images opened from the iPhoto grid view also do not appear incorrectly. Granted, I just named two work-arounds, but neither is very satisfying. Anyone else have a better idea?

Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 7:27 PM

66 replies

Dec 25, 2012 7:49 PM in response to sojourner42

Given that we only know what you tell us

Whta version of iPhoto do you have? what is your exact workflow? How are you uploading to Flickr? What version of PS? Is PS set as the external editor for iPhoto? are you saving (not saving as) the photo to return it to iPhoto?

What are the dimensions of the photo before editing, after editing, when uploaded to Flickr and when viewed in iPhoto

LN

Dec 25, 2012 8:02 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry, Here are the details: iPhoto 11 9.4.2. Photoshop CS6 13.0.3. (set as the external editor.)

Workflow: viewing image in full frame view. I hit "enter" which opens it in photoshop. I make my changes (sometimes cropping, sometimes not.) I do a save (not save as) close the window and return to iPhoto. I have been using this routine successfully for years.

I then upload the images to Flickr using the "share" function in iPhoto. They are uploaded at "half size" Those images which were opened in Photoshop from the iPhoto full frame view are greatly enlarged and cropped to a square of just the upper left corner. (I have also seen this effect for images simply exported to the desktop.)

Rebuilding the thumbnails corrects the issue -- I need to reload the corrected images to Flickr to replace the corrupted ones.

It appears to be a bug with the full frame view. It used to be that you couldn't go directly to an external editor from that view. Now you can do it, but it bites you. It looks like iPhoto is grabbing a thumbnail and making that the base image.

As I said, I can work around it, but it sure is annoying.

Thanks for your interest.

Jan 31, 2013 9:14 AM in response to sojourner42

I am having the same problem using elements 11 from the app store and iphoto 9.4.2. I have tried sending to elements from thumbnail and large image but on saving back to iphoto image opens megazoom. The work arounds seem to work until iphoto is closed or computer sleeps then images resume opening mega large. Is apple doing anything to resolve this?

Jan 31, 2013 10:25 AM in response to sojourner42

Thanks old toad

I have filed a report using the link in iphoto itself.

I find it odd that all the fixes you and others have suggested work untill iphoto is closed and reopened then problem returns and it only started on upgrading to iphoto 9.4.2. This must surly be internal to iphoto?

I am sorry to say that I mistyped my version of elements which should be 10 from the app store.

I am thinking of buying the full version of elements 11 from adobe and using the inbuilt catalogue and doing away with iphoto completly as I do not want to risk loseing or corrupting my photos. Thanks for your interest

Jan 31, 2013 10:37 AM in response to cfrombarrhead

the only solution to avoid risking losing your photos is a good backup system - iPhoto is no better or worse than any program since they all use the same file storage system - iPhoto in theory is better since it always keeps the original untouched where as many other managers modify the digital negative leaving you with fewer restore options

Without a good backup you are 100% guarenteed to lose all of your files including your photos sooner or later no matter what software you use to manage them

LN

Jan 31, 2013 11:04 AM in response to cfrombarrhead

The Adobe PSE organizer is essentially a file/folder viewer. You can give it a try by for organizing photos it's not nearly versitile or easy to use as iPhoto.

Have you tried launching iPhoto with the Option key held down and creating a new, test library. Import some photos and check to see if the same problem persists. That will tell us if it's limited to just that library or more widespread.

Jan 31, 2013 12:54 PM in response to sojourner42

Well, i have tried building a second library and also the repair library function. With iPhoto and PS Elements 11 this bug is still there. Here is my prehistoric workflow: Now I drag the picture from iphoto to the desktop, from there to photoshop elements and after editing I save it on the desktop and , voila, back to iPhoto, and delete the original. Once a version is enhanced, and therefore better, I like to erase the original file if I want to.

This program has become very buggy and is kind of crap.

The bigger version, Aperture , works better with "edit in photoshop", but as reward you blow up your library by saving back to aperture a 8-bit tiff, with 10x the size. With no right button function like "convert to Jpeg" or similar. Now that's a great improvement if you have a small fast ssd that gets full in no time. Thanks Apple - it's time to look around at the PC corner next time....

Jan 31, 2013 2:10 PM in response to mkmichaelmk

Do you have PSE setup this way in iPhoto?

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

Feb 1, 2013 2:04 AM in response to Old Toad

Ok

Yes I have other back up of my photos on seperate hard drive and aslo have timemachine backing up iphoto as well.

I have tried all the possible fixes you good people have given two or three times. They seem to work untill iphoto is closed and reopened and then the problem returns. it only affects photos which have been worked on in elements lately. Previous photos worked on in elements are not affected, untill they are processes again in elements.

I have iphoto set to use elements as the photo editor and move photos into elements by right click and choose edit in external editor. This opens elements and loads the photo. When work id finished I click save and the photo goes back to iphoto in jpeg largest file size.

On double clicking thumbnail in iphoto to open the photo I get a mega zoom sized picture even in full screen you cannot see the whole picture. If however I swipe the photo untill the next photo in the event is displayed and then swipe back the picture returns to normal size.

This has only happened since I upgraded to iphoto 9.4.2, is it possible to regress to 9.4.1?

My concern on loseing photos is, I think, more a fear that as its running at present iphoto may do somthing to corrupt the images.

When I used the rebuild thumpnails option the problem went away but when I closed iphoto a message displayed saying updating libary and lo and behold on reopening the problem was back.

Photos displayed in other programmes such as keynote etc open correctly I must admit I haven't tried to print any yet to see what size they would turn out.

I appriciate your help and views

Feb 1, 2013 9:12 AM in response to cfrombarrhead

I don't think we've suggested this yet:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Mt. Lion from the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder

User uploaded file

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

NOTE 2: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

Incorrect size when photo edited in photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.