Skip navigation

Wired Network for Mac Pro, Wireless Network for iDevices

260 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 2:55 AM by AppleMacCider RSS
AppleMacCider Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 25, 2012 11:50 PM

Hi All

I have recently had my credit card cloned and want to set up a more secure wired and wiress network.  I currently have my AEBS wired directly to the BT Openeach modem (BT are my internet provider).  The AEBS is used for wired connections to my Mac Pro and the family PC.  We have various other iDevices and PS3s in the house which all use the wiresless network.  I also only allow know IP addresses to use the wireless network to improve security and to set my son's friends logging in to the wireless network.

Talking to a friend recently, he sugested about having a two separate networks - one wired (Mac Pro) and wiressless netork for PC and all other wireless devices using two routers and a subnet.

Is this possible and how to I set it up.  The most important features for me will be to make as secure as possible to use my credit card online as well as online banking.  To only allow authorised wireless devices onto my wireless network and to also monitor the content on my son's iDevices and block any harmful sites or adverts within other websites.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • BigBopper Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)

Apple has some good support material on setting up secure networks. Start with http://support.apple.com/kb/VI25 and http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/airport_extreme_5th_gen_setup.pdf

I wouldn't bother with putting the wireless devices on a separate network. If you really isolated  them, you wouldn't be able to share anything between the wireless devices and wired machines. That is unlikely to be the source of the problem anyway.

Make sure that you select the more advanced security options. The guides above will help you. Change all default passwords. If you really want to lock down the wireless network, limit access to specific MAC addresses. Maybe that is what you meant by IP addresses.

The real concerns are about how you use you credit card and bank account information as well as general computer hygiene.

Never click on a link in an e-mail message and then provide sensitive information. Give your credit card numbers only to companies that you trust and only using web site URLs that you enter yourself. Banks and credit card companies normally don't send emails asking you to sign in, Often, those kind of emails are really phishing attempts that take you to fraudulent sites that mimic the look of the real ones.

Make  sure that you are always using HTTPS when you provide sensitive information on the web.

Don't store credit card numbers on your computers unless it is encrypted. I use 1Password for this.

Don't share computer log in accounts. Make a different one for each person in your household.  And have a separate account for computer administration. Turn off admin privileges on the normal user accounts.

Never install software unless it is from a reliable source. Since you are running Mountain Lion, do not turn off or bypass the security that blocks software installation from untrusted sources.

Don't allow your kids or guests to install any software. "Free" games are a way that malicious software gets installed.

BTW - I don't think you mean to say that your credit card was "cloned." Doing that would require physical access to the card to copy the mag strip data. And I hope that you have reported the fraudulent charges to the credit card company and requested a new card with a new account number.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.