Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my new iPod Touch to my Ubuntu laptop?

Normally I'd just use iTunes, using a windows based machine, but since that particular OS has gone in directions I find undesirable (aka Windows 8's new interface and the 'enhanced' BIOS that restricts the hardware so much you cannot properly use it anymore), I've switched to using Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 3.2.0-30-generic (32 bit). Trying to load iTunes via WINE (which makes the laptop pretend to be a windows machine again) is a massive headache...there seems to be no way to make it install properly. Similarly having issues loading it through VirtualBox (where I actually run all the windows executables in a virtual machine environment). And since there's no Linux-native version of iTunes around that I can see...

Is there a way to get the iPod to make itself recognized as a USB file storage device, so I can push my music onto it that way? Or a way to get iTunes to work in Ubuntu (right now I'd be glad to use a web interface via Firefox, if one existed, that's platform-neutral).

Sincerely,

anichols2000 - New Apple User, thanks to Santa Claus

iPod touch, Other OS

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:34 AM

11 replies

Dec 26, 2012 5:01 AM in response to anichols2000

anichols2000 wrote:

Is there a way to get the iPod to make itself recognized as a USB file storage device, so I can push my music onto it that way?

No.

There is no version (as you've probably noticed) of iTunes that works with Ubuntu. You will probably have more luck working out how to "make the laptop pretend to be a Windows machine" if you try a forum specifically designed for Ubuntu.

Sorry that I can't be more help. It's not that we don't want to solve your issue, but as Windows and Mac users, the chances of finding someone here who knows enough about what you are trying to do, with Ubuntu, is small.

Dec 28, 2012 9:37 PM in response to anichols2000

itunes doesnt play nice with Wine in my experience.

i ended up installing virtualbox (and the extension pack) and loading up a virtual windows xp.

create a usb filter in virtualbox for the ipod. that'll send the ipod directly to xp when plugged in.

i also created a rule in a program "gDevilspie" to load the virtualized windows xp on a 2nd workspace/desktop as soon as linux is done booting.

also in the virtual windows you can install the "guest additions" too..... that way i share my mp3 directories between linux/virtual windows

what problems are you having with virtualbox? cuz ive had no issues with it at all

Jan 2, 2013 12:34 AM in response to anichols2000

Leon, no offense... but it obvious that you don't understand what we're talking about... we dont want to use the ipod as a usb drive... just trying to pass the usb connection to the virtual windows.... and i'm trying to help him

to the problem at hand, since linux can see the device with the lsusb command, i think its a permissions problem. but first, did you install virtualbox from the website? or from the software center?

if from the software center.... purge it... and download the .deb from the website:

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox

(or i think it may be virtualbox-ose)

did you add yourself to the vboxusers group as instructed?

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers anichols2000

of course you would replace anichols2000 with your linux username and make sure its a capital "-G" and reboot the system for changes to take effect. if that doesnt work...trying adding yourself to a couple more groups.. im guessing...

sudo usermod -a -G disks anichols2000

sudo usermod -a -G plugdev anichols2000

side note: im not happy with Ubuntu 12.04, the they took out some very useful gui tools such as "users and groups" and "Synaptic package manager". i would suggest re-installing them... you could add yourself to the groups through the "users and groups" gui instead of the commands above if you prefer after installing the gnome system tools...

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

sudo apt-get install synaptic

hope that helps..... good luck

Jan 2, 2013 5:19 AM in response to alanroth

Great minds think alike...just got doing something very similar (including a new hdd and fresh install of xubuntu 11.10). Once I imported my win xp vm and got iTunes reinstalled (plus some tinkering with rep lugging the iPod a few times) I finally got it to be recognized. 603 songs synced up though having to limit xp to one of my two cores and a 40% execution cap was annoying. Laptop is on its last leg, and should have been replaced years ago.

Anyway, thank you very much for detailing the solution I ended up stumbling across for future Linux iPod owners!

- A

Mar 26, 2014 3:26 AM in response to alanroth

Thank you SO MUCH alanroth! Adding myself to 'vboxusers' and 'plugdev' groups fixed everything!

I got my machine preinstalled with Windows 8 and absolutely hated it. So, I got rid of it in favor of Ubuntu. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research and could no longer sync my iPod Touch 5g (The lack of research was my fault). Eventually I learned how to install Windows XP on VirtualBox, but my iPod still wasn't being recognized. Adding my username to those two groups fixed it!

For the record, I am running Ubuntu 13.10, and downloaded to VirtualBox package from the main repository using Synaptic (sudo apt-get install would have worked, too). VirtualBox is version 4.2.16. Here's a list of additional packages I installed relating to VirtualBox:

virtualbox-qt

virtualbox-source

virtualbox-guest-source

virtualbox-guest-additions-iso

virtualbox-dkms

virtualbox-guest-x11

virtualbox-guest-utils

Cheers everyone, I'm one happy geek again! Thanks! 😀

How do I connect my new iPod Touch to my Ubuntu laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.