Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing HD with SSD - 17" MacBook Pro 2,1 (late 2006)

I have a 17" MacBook Pro (late 2006/MacBook Pro 2,1) and want to replace the original 160GB HDD with an SSD (preferably 256GB). Compatible suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:25 AM

I recently replaced the HDD in my 2011 Macbook Pro and purchased an SSD from Crucial. They have a compatibility tool and the SSD i bought was great value and works perfectly.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx?gclid=CKrN5oSwuLQCFSHHtAodRE8AHQ&cpe=pd_goo gle_uk&ef_id=UNsWRQAAXYu7CEPC:20121226152245:s

Find your model and they guarentee compatibility!

Hope this helps!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2012 7:25 AM in response to Bruno Pavão

I recently replaced the HDD in my 2011 Macbook Pro and purchased an SSD from Crucial. They have a compatibility tool and the SSD i bought was great value and works perfectly.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx?gclid=CKrN5oSwuLQCFSHHtAodRE8AHQ&cpe=pd_goo gle_uk&ef_id=UNsWRQAAXYu7CEPC:20121226152245:s

Find your model and they guarentee compatibility!

Hope this helps!

Dec 26, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Bruno Pavão

No, you need to check whether you SATA is SATA 3Gb/s or SATA 6Gb/s.

NOTE: If you’re a Mac® computer user, you can easily self-check your system’s bandwidth. Simply click on the Apple icon at the upper left-hand corner of the screen, then follow this path: About This Mac > More Info > Serial-ATA (located under the Hardware column). When you click on Serial-ATA, a lower window will appear on the right with a list of system specs and one of those is called Link Speed. That number (either 3 or 6 gigabits) represents your computer’s SATA bandwidth capability.

I'd use the SSD as boot disk and put a HDD in the optical drive bay. Then use HDD for storage and SSD for apps etc to ensure maximum speed!Hope this helps.

Replacing HD with SSD - 17" MacBook Pro 2,1 (late 2006)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.