Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My niece's iPod Touch sound isn't working.

There's no sound while playing music on the unit itself, though if she connects it to external speakers it works fine. Also, I tried changing ringtones and I hear the chime just fine. When she pulls up her music icon, there is no "volume indicator" on the slide and I've tried resetting, turning up the volume on the side, etc.

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm not sure what iOS she's running....if that matters.

Thanks

iPod touch, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:04 AM

3 replies

Dec 26, 2012 9:06 AM in response to bzq

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so.

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iPod. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for this price. They do not fix yours.

Apple - iPod Repair price

A third-party place like the following will replace the jack for less. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

Replace the jack yourself

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

Dec 26, 2012 9:23 AM in response to lllaass

I haven't asked if it works with headphones (good question) but when I play it with just the built in speaker nothing comes out unless I'm changing the ringtone (rules out speaker malfunction). I've also already tried doing a hard reset as well as resetting ALL settings but that didn't do the trick either. She doesn't live near an Apple store so we're hoping to avoid that.

My niece's iPod Touch sound isn't working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.