10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 8:13 AM by léonie
mollialba Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I know how to do to have the background in the window openings black and not dark gray, is it possiblle?

Thanks a lot!

Enrico

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,445 points)

Use the sliders at "Aperture➞Preferences➞Appearance".  I use 18% for the Viewers, and 45% for the Browsers.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- link to User Manual added.

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (65,265 points)

Set the "Viewer Brightness" or "Browser Brightness" to black in the "Appearance" tab of the Aperture Preferences panel. Drag the corresponding sliders all the way to the left.

Regards

Léonie

brightness.png

Merry Christmas, Kirby!

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,695 points)

One thing to keep in mind regarding the color of the space around the image.

The space around the image is as important to the overall look of the image as the image itself is. The color and tone of the space will affect how your eye sees the colors and tones of the image. If it is to dark the image will appear bright, if to bright the image will appear dark.

I like to keep the background set to a neutral density gray which is about 33% or so. Also I would advise to keep all the settings the same. If they are different then the image will appear different as you view it in the various modes.

regards

Excellent point, too often overlooked.

Fwiw, I like to use an immediately-perceivable difference in background luminance between the Viewer and the Browser so I can tell at a glance whether I am in a Browser or in a Viewer with many Images selected.

All true grays are neutral in hue (that's the definition of "gray") -- which makes me wonder:  what does "neutral density" imply?  According to the Wikipedia article, "neutral" refers to having the same effect on luminance while leaving hue unchanged.  As such, "neutral seems to be a modifier of "filter" and not of "density".

I was under the impression the 18% is the standard luminance for half-way between the normally experienced extremes of "dark" and "light".  I have always wanted to confirm this -- I settled on what I use above from trial and error (Viewer at 18%, Browser at 45%).  According to this Wikipedia article, middle gray, also called "18% gray", is equivalent to c. 46% luminance in the sRGB color space.  So for most users, setting the Viewer and Browser backgrounds to 46% (on a hardware calibrated display with fixed luminance settings) should give them the best perceptual results across a broad range of Images.  Agree?  Thoughts?

Next time I calibrate my displays I might measured the Aperture Viewer and Browser backgrounds after calibration.  I'm still confused about the difference in the scales used for "18%" gray (18% of what?) and the sRGB gray of 46% (of what?).

--Kirby.

Likewise!  By my measurements our nearest G-type main-sequence star has reversed its descent and is now entering a period of ascent.  Are you seeing the same?  I predict a continued upswing, and a strong harvest for the coming period.  .

Closer to home, I shoveled the walk today.

• mollialba Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks a lot!

Likewise!  By my measurements our nearest G-type main-sequence star has reversed its descent and is now entering a period of ascent.  Are you seeing the same?  I predict a continued upswing, and a strong harvest for the coming period. 

I wish could observe this phenomenon myself! Helios has been hiding behind a thick layer of clouds for more than a week here in Hamburg. But I trust your prediction

Ah, Hamburg -- the Pittsburgh of Europe.

PS: Congrats on the new level.  Just noticed -- sorry.  Couldn't go to a more deserving star.

Thank you, Kirby - how poetic! The new hexagon badge came on Christmas Eve, just in time as an early Christmas surprise!