Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep my Aperture library from showing up in other user's iPhoto?

I use an iMac 24 with OS 10.8.2 I use Aperture on my account and my wife and kids use iPhoto on their separate accounts on the same computer.

For some reason, over the last few months, everytime they open thier iPhoto, my Aperture photos show up first in there. They have to wait until iPhoto stops its spinning beach ball (creating previews maybe?) before they can hit the Events box to find their own photos.

I have never set anything up to share libraries or anything like that. This behavior started on its own, possibly during one of the recent system upgrades. I have looked in the iPhoto preferences to see if there was an option to "automatically open Aperture library at launch" or something similar but could not find any such thing. Even a search on these boards has been inconclusive.

Does anyone know how I can keep all these iPhotos from opening up other libraries by default?

This is almost as annoying as the 'New software is available" alert message which keeps popping up in everyone's account, even the non admin ones and even after I have done all the available software updates.

Thank you for any help.

Bo

Safari-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:38 PM

As a rule there is no library sharing between users unless it is specifically set up and even then it's a tricky thing to do so little chance it would happen by accident.

What is more likely is that your iCloud photo stream is to blame. Do you have a shared photo stream turned on? Or are you all using the same Apple ID?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2012 2:38 PM in response to Bmachine

As a rule there is no library sharing between users unless it is specifically set up and even then it's a tricky thing to do so little chance it would happen by accident.

What is more likely is that your iCloud photo stream is to blame. Do you have a shared photo stream turned on? Or are you all using the same Apple ID?

Dec 29, 2012 9:23 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thank you Frank. Apologies for the delayed reply, I was out of town.

Yes we are all using the same Apple ID.

I did check out Photostream once a while back and quickly decided I wasn't interested. I don't believe anyone esle is using it. So I don't think I "set anything up" other than the defaults. What setting should I be looking for or turning off?

Thanks again.

Bo

Jan 3, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thank you Frank. I did check those settings and none of them were "on".

Here are two new bits of info to narrow down the issue: It seems that this behavior happens only the first time after I import a new set of images in Aperture from a SD card, and only the first time iPhoto is opened after that operation.

In other words:

1. Import photos in Aperture in my account

2. The first time one opens iPhoto in another account it will automatically display the new photos that were imported in my account.

3. as soon as I click on "events" in that iPhoto session, all of these last imported photos disappear and only the ones that belong in that iPhoto library remain. All is working normally from then on.

Really odd. Almost as if a snapshot of the last imports was automatically distributed to all account and not purged until manually done so...

And secondly, although Aperture is teh very latest version, I still have iPhoto '09 (v 8.1.2). I wonder if there is a bit of incompatibility with it and OS 10.8.2 maybe...

Bo

Jan 3, 2013 11:46 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

In additon to Ernie's comments is the SD card removed before the other account is opened?

Yes it is removed. I made sure that it wasn't simply a case of iPhoto automatically reading an inserted card.

Are you importing from the card into Aperture or are you copyig the card contents to the HD first and then importing?

Photos are imported directly in Aperture. They are stored as referenced masters on an external drive.

Jan 3, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Ernie Stamper wrote:

Assuming you are using the SDHC slot in the iMac, I am wondering if there is a buffer associated with it, which is initially seen by the other User Account?

Ernie

Yes, a buffer or memory cache of some sort is what I was thinking about also. Really odd.

My iMac doesnt have a SDHC slot (mid 2007). So I am using a Sandisk card reader plugged into an external powered USB hub.

Jan 3, 2013 11:59 AM in response to Bmachine

I would not expect that to involve any buffer -- would you?

However, I think the other User Account which you say is running, might bring the photos up just as it would if that User was active, and when swapped back to, might see that initial offering of images to import? You could test, perhaps, by making sure that accont does not automatiically open iPhoto in preparation to import.

Ernie

Jan 3, 2013 12:00 PM in response to Bmachine

You're reply here seems to indicat you are doing fast user switching

Bmachine wrote:

Ernie Stamper wrote:

Is the other User Account open, yours only swapped to?

Yes

So if that is the case, for troubleshooting purposes, what happens if you log the other account out entirely, import in your account, log yourself out and then log the other account in.

Jan 3, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

Ernie Stamper wrote:

I would not expect that to involve any buffer -- would you?

No. I don't know what the point of it would be. Which is why I am wondering if this "previous version" of iPhoto might have a rarely encountered incompatibility w the latest OS.

However, I think the other User Account which you say is running, might bring the photos up just as it would if that User was active, and when swapped back to, might see that initial offering of images to import? You could test, perhaps, by making sure that accont does not automatiically open iPhoto in preparation to import.

Good idea. I will test that.

Jan 3, 2013 12:06 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

You're reply here seems to indicat you are doing fast user switching

So if that is the case, for troubleshooting purposes, what happens if you log the other account out entirely, import in your account, log yourself out and then log the other account in.

Yes I am using fast user switching. That sounds like a good test to do as well.

How to keep my Aperture library from showing up in other user's iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.