Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Restore Fails

I have an iCloud backup of my iPhone 4 that I'm trying to restore to my new iPod touch, 5th generation. The backup was created in March, 2012, when my iPhone 4 was stolen. A few months ago, the iCloud backup of my iPhone 4 restored successfully to an iPad 3 (which was iOS 5 at the time).

But apparently this backup is not compatible with iOS 6. It does not error when I restore it to my new iPod touch, but none of the apps can launch. A handful of system settings came across, like the name of the device and general settings.

After the restore, in order to get the apps to launch, I have to delete/reinstall them. So I know something was written to each application's sandbox.

I know the backup is good because it restored to the iPad. I suspect the backup can only be restored in iOS 5. I know I can't downgrade my iPod touch to iOS 5. I attempted to downgrade the iPad 3 to iOS 5, but iTunes refused to do so.

I guess I need to get my hands on a device that is still on iOS 5.

Any other suggestions?

iPod touch, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:20 PM

3 replies

Dec 26, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Anthony Martin2

You can restore a device with a higher iOS that on which the backup was made. Thus, you can restore the 5G from the backup made with iOS 5 or earlier.

I did restore my iPad 4 with iOS 6 from the backup of my iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1. However, I had to do it twice since none of apps were restore the first time. Thus, try again.

Also, there could be corruption in the backup

iCloud Restore Fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.