Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt docks for external video cards. Any out there?

I am finally retiring my Mac Pro 1,1 for a stacked i7 Mac Mini. The only downside to the Mini is the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000. I've already upgraded to the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and would like to keep that power.

To that end, I've been looking for a Mac-compatible Thunderbolt-enabled external graphics dock. Across the web, I've read about upcoming products from LucidLogix, MSI (GUS II) and Village Instruments (ViDock), but none of these seem to be available to market. I also realize that there are a lot of docks that could be used with a PCIe to Thunderbolt adapter, but that just seems like a costly pain.

Any good solutions out there?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:14 PM

12 replies

Dec 26, 2012 1:59 PM in response to jaruzek

There are a few companies that have at least demoed thunderbolt docks for graphics cards. You already gave some examples.

An example of a Thunderbolt to PCIe adapter that is available on the market (at quite a price) is the Sonnet Echo Express Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion Chassis. However, I can't confirm that it also works for graphics cards. As shown in this review at Tom's Hardware, it at least does for PC's. I can't tell if this is the same for Macs.

Dec 26, 2012 2:06 PM in response to jaruzek

The externally connected Thunderbolt cages for PCI graphics adapters were far more expensive than a new Mac mini when I looked this fall. If I recall correctly, the Mac mini PCI to Thunderbolt interface uses PCI x-4 internally which would be a bottleneck for the higher inbound graphics bandwidth from the Thunderbolt cage.

When you add all of the associated expenses, it may approach the base 27 inch iMac, which would smoke the Mac mini configuration that you entertain.

Dec 27, 2012 2:05 AM in response to jaruzek

One major hurdle with these solutions for external video

is that there are no "Thunderbolt aware" OSX drivers for

any of the video cards. However, if you were to use

one of these card cages with a Mac running Win7

via Bootcamp, pretty much all PCI Express video cards

work without issue. Using Windows, the Thunderbolt

port would just look like like another PCI Express bus.

Although it is the same on a Mac, OSX adds another

layer to driver access to that bus compared to Windows

and video card vendors are reluctant to spend the time

and money on drivers for such a limited market.

Dec 27, 2012 3:54 AM in response to jaruzek

As far as I can tell, there are no USB 3.0 solutions for external graphics. This may be due to the fact that Thunderbolt is based on PCI-Express, the same standard that most graphics cards use. Combined with the fact that USB 3.0 is only capable of transferring data at lower speed than Thunderbolt does, I don't expect any (good-performing) external graphics solutions to arrive on the market anywhere in the near future.

There have been external (even USB 2.0) solutions for connecting additional monitors for some time. However, the performance of these 'graphics cards' won't even approach the performance of the built-in HD Graphics 4000 of your Mac mini, so that won't bring you any closer to the result you're trying to achieve.

Dec 31, 2012 11:04 AM in response to jaruzek

jaruzek wrote:

UPDATE: I just discovered there's a big problem with HDMI > HDMI connection with with Mac Mini's 4000, causing washed out colours. The price-point I was looking for was right, but if the video on this machine is so junky, I might just get a refurb Mac Pro or new iMac as suggested above. Ugh.

Have you installed the firmware update that was supposed to address

this issue?

Jan 1, 2013 2:49 AM in response to jaruzek

jaruzek wrote:

I just got the mini right after Xmas (thanks, Fedex). In Software Update, nothing is available.

Open Applications->Utilities->System Information.

Click Hardware, if not already selected. Under

Boot ROM Version it should be MM61.0106.803.

If not and not being flagged in software update,

download here and install:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1616.

Nov 13, 2013 5:59 AM in response to jaruzek

You should check out the Silverstone T004. It can supply up to 450 watts to a graphics card and will cost between $200 and $300. Of, course I'm hoping for the $200 price.

I emailed a Silverstone representative and he said that they're hoping to be able to release it in the first quarter of 2014.

http://www.computershopper.com/computex-2013/diy-external-laptop-graphics!-compu tex-2013-preview-of-the-silverstone-t004-thunderbolt/silverstone-t004-external-t hunderbolt-graphics?thisSpeed=30000#slm

Nov 14, 2013 2:22 AM in response to joshuafromwaterford

The problem is not with having boxes to plug graphics cards into.

The problem is the way OSX handles cards plugged into those boxes.

In the case of video cards, OSX requires a special "Thunderbolt Aware"

driver in order to use the video card. At this point in time, no such

drivers exist from any video card vendors.

The odd part of this issue, is that if booting natively into Windows via

a Bootcamp install, video card PCI based can be used without any

special driver other than what is delivered with the card.

So until video card vendors create these "Thunderbolt Aware" drivers,

there still is no external video option when using OSX.

Nov 14, 2013 12:31 PM in response to woodmeister50

As far as I know, you only need a driver for the enclosure which will trick the computer into thinking that the graphics card is plugged into PCIe instead of Thunderbolt. MSI mangaged to make a driver for doing just that for its GUS II enclosure on Windows. I emailed a Silverstone Sales represtative and he said that the T004 will be 100% Mac compatibile.

Thunderbolt docks for external video cards. Any out there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.