Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4, IOS 6, Google Maps voice does not work.Installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, worked only twice. Any idea as to why? All other BT devicees work fine.

Downloaded Google Maps, iPhone 4 IOS 6, the voice turn by turn audio worked perfectly...once. Uninstalled, reinstalled, worked perfectly again...once.

Mapping is great, as are directions. It is just the voice that cuts out. Now, reinstall does not even restore the voice. On occasion it will speak for the first direction, and then go silent. No, I do not have it muted, nor is my volume turned down. All other BT devices have audio. Sent feedback to Google. No response.Any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:00 PM

8 replies

Dec 26, 2012 2:22 PM in response to dipnbeans

amy_lou, I did feedback Google..no response yet. I thought perhaps someone else may have had the same issue and found a solution that they could share here.

dipnbeans, you may be correct re: hardware, but it is odd that Google Maps is the only app that is not working as it should, so I think it is most likley some sort of Google issue.

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2012 2:16 PM in response to Pentimento2011

Update. Feedback from Google was as follows:

"Thank you for reporting this problem. Unfortunately, for various reasons, the problem you reported isn't easy for us to fix at this time:

User uploaded file
Voice is gone. Uninstalled, reinstalled, voice still does not work. iPhone 4, IOS 6.0

We did want to let you know that we've escalated your report to the appropriate engineering team. Even though we don't have an immediate fix to your problem, please be assured that we're working hard for a resolution.

Thanks for helping us to improve Google Maps!"

However, here is what I have discovered. Google Maps voice streams the sound via Bluetooth through the same channel as the music streams through from the iPhone. Therefore, one MUST have the music volume turned up on the phone, or else the voice can't be heard via BT or the phone itself. It is independent of the phone volume control.

The other sounds from the phone, such as ringtones, alerts, etc are sent through the phone itself, controlled by the phone volume buttons, but the music sound from the iTunes music app is apparently routed seperately.

In addition, Google Maps voice can only be heard via MP3 play. Therefore, you can listen to the music on your iPhone while hearing Google Maps navigation voice through Bluetooth, but you can't hear it if playing the radio, because that is apparently output through sort of different channel. In addition, it also can't be heard if you use an older iPod that is not BT capable, as that channel apparently also works on the same channel as the radio; same for the CD player.

Soooo....if you want Google voice turn by turn through Bluetooth on iPhone 4, you must tune to MP3, and only music that plays through an MP3 capable device..such as the iPhone..can be heard.

If you want to listen to the radio, or an older non BT iPod or CD, you have to deactivate BT altogether, and Google Maps voice will then come through the phone speaker...but only if you have the music volume control on the phone turned up. This of course means no hands free talk, which is an absurd safety hazard to say the least...not to mention a ticketable offense in a number of states, mine included.

The reason the voice was sometimes there and other times not was because I did not always have the music control turned up as I did not know that was necessary.

Hope this helps others....and also the "Engineers" at Google Maps, as they appear to not have a clue. How do they not know how this works?

Back to the drawing board for the Google engineering team.

iPhone 4, IOS 6, Google Maps voice does not work.Installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, worked only twice. Any idea as to why? All other BT devicees work fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.