Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set my notifications for iMessage/text messages?

I have a new iPhone 4S with whatever the latest operating system is. If I am active on my phone or if the screen is not locked, I receive my messages with the correct vibrate and sound I set it to, and it shows up in the banner like I have it set to. However, if my screen is locked, I do not get a vibration or a notification when I get a text, but if I hit the home button it will be there. I've looked through all the settings and cannot figure it out. How do I make notifications appear when I have my screen locked??

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:57 PM

3 replies

Dec 26, 2012 5:47 PM in response to danasarci

Settings > Notifications > Messages >

Notification Center: ON

Show: choose 1/5/10 Recent Items

Alert Style

choose Banners or Alerts

Badge App Icon: ON

Show Preview: ON

Repeat: choose up to 10 times

Show iMessage Alerts From:

choose Everyone/My Contacts Only

View in Lock Screen: ON

To see Notification Center, on Home Screen where your apps icons are, swipe from the top to the bottom.

How do I set my notifications for iMessage/text messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.