Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove (almost) duplicated entries from a submenu?

I recently updated one of my programs with no problem. However whenever I go to open a file associated with the updated program, the submenu shows both the new and old version. I tried the terminal script to remove duplicate entrties, however, the entries appear as follows:

Program-Name (New Version Number)

Program-Name (Old Version Number)

I don't have a lot of hair left so I can't afford to pull too much more out. Is there a solution to this problem that won't require disassembling the computer, my wallet and removing what's left of my hair?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:46 PM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2012 4:05 AM in response to baltwo

After extensive searching (including system folders) the only version anywhere on any of the drives (including the Raid array) is the one I upgraded to. However, as an experiment, I uninstalled the updated program and then opened one of the associated files. Oddly enough, the earlier version (which as far as I can see, does NOT exist on any drive or directory in my system) came up. The only reference I can find to this version is in the Profil_full.txt file. I did run the Launch Serices script earlier and am getting ready to do so once again. I love a good mystery.

Dec 27, 2012 3:30 PM in response to baltwo

You actually pointed me in the correct direction. I did a second all folder search directed at the Raid array. The older version was hiding in a folder that had been archived (moved but not deleted) for deletion on one of those slow days when you go through your computer looking for extraneous files to delete. I moved the old program to the trash, emptied it and then tried to open one of the associated files. It didn't work. I then reinstalled the update and everything worked as expected.

Thanks for the hint, it worked.

How do I remove (almost) duplicated entries from a submenu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.